Carbondioxide will increse acidity?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
In summary: But based on the equilibrium constant, the second reaction (H2CO3 + H2O <--> HCO3- + H3O+) is more likely to occur. This is due to the fact that carbonic acid is not a very weak acid and has a relatively low solubility in water. Additionally, only a small fraction of the dissolved CO2 forms carbonic acid, and only a small fraction of that dissociates into H+ and (HCO3)-. Therefore, the overall effect of adding dry ice (CO2) to a solution is to increase the concentration of H3O+ and HCO3- ions, making the solution more acidic.
pivoxa15
The textbook said if you add dry ice (carbon dioxide) to lemonade or soda water, the pH of the substance (which is already acidic) will become even more acidic. Why?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
When carbon dioxide is dissoved in water, it forms carbonic acid.

CO2 + H2O <--> H2CO3

And then H2CO3 + H2O <-->H30+ HCO3

so in this way hyronium is increased and so by definition the acidity has increased?

Yes, with the tiny correction that it's HCO3-

Also, the second dissociation constant isn't negligible, so include HCO3(-) + H2O <--> H3O(+) + CO3(2-) as well.

It's actually CO2 + H2O <--> H3O+ + HCO3- (HCO3- is an ampholyte, however, I recall that essential chemistry is that of a base and sometimes employed to neutralize various types of acid solutions).

I was recently made aware of the claim that by heating water in a microwave to just below boiling temp, and then allowing the water to cool and be used for watering house plants, the plant growth is reduced. Apparently is a claim found in the extreme holistic type crowd. A friend's wife actually convinced him to pitch the microwave by demonstrating this using house plants, with one group watered with almost-boiled water, and the other with straight tap water. Of course, if we assume that the demonstration was on the level, the obvious objection was that she never tried using water heated on the stove. Out of curiosity, I intended to check into this but never got around to it.

By chance I had to boil some tap water that comes from our private well with a known pH of 7.0. This came up for something else entirely, but there you go. :rolleyes: After boiling the water and letting it cool, the pH was well over 8.0. Given that the water has been chlorinated, dechlorinated, filtered twice, then carbon filtered and run through a water softener, and since the solubility of CO2 decreases with increasing temp to about half - over the range of 25C to 100C - am I reasonably safe to assume that the pH change likely results from driving off CO2, or is the potential for other factors is too great to make assumptions about the cause of the pH change?

Last edited:
Ivan, unless I'm making a mistake, the numbers don't work out for CO2 being the dominant reason for the change in pH. If I cut the concentration of CO2 by a factor of 4 from its typical value, the pH would increase by not more than 0.5.

Can't imagine what else it might be though...so I'll put it on your pH meter.

Last edited:
Whoops, I must have dropped something somewhere. I was shooting from the hip a bit since I don't know what else it could be either. I'm using a common chemical test kit that is accurate over the range of 6 - 8, and it is repeatable - I did it twice just to be sure.

I just checked and sure enough, after a couple of days or aeration, the pH is still about 8.0. [edit] Although, I think it has dropped a bit. Now it appears to be indicating almost exactly 8.0, whereas initially it was clearly indicated to be > 8.0.

I still need to buy a pH probe for my Fluke. :redface:

Last edited:
Was the glass (?) cleaned in an automatic dishwasher using commercial detergents? If so, a layer of sodium silicate could be present that dissolves off the glass when heated.

Good point. I think it might have been the pot used to boil the water. It was cleaned thoroughly, but perhaps a few rounds of boiling will clear things up.

Thanks. I should mention that Integral made the same suggestion.

I guess there is always the possibility that we experienced a transient in our water quality. This can happen if we get a heavy flush of minerals and sulfer compounds in the water table.

GCT said:
It's actually CO2 + H2O <--> H3O+ + HCO3- (HCO3- is an ampholyte, however, I recall that essential chemistry is that of a base and sometimes employed to neutralize various types of acid solutions).

Does the weak cabonic acid form in the process?

Is it more common for H2CO3 -> CO2 + H2O
or
CO2 + H2O -> H2CO3 + H2O ->HCO3- + H3O+

Don't know that at the moment, however, try finding the equilibrium constant for the reaction (CO2 as a reactant) through google ("equilibrium constant for CO2" may suffice) or perhaps the CRC Physical Chemistry Handbook.

pivoxa15 said:
Does the weak cabonic acid form in the process?
Carbon acid (H2CO3) is actually not a very weak acid (its Ka is not that small). The pH of carbonic acid is usually pretty low because (i) the solubility product for CO2 in water is low, and (ii) only a small fraction of the dissolved CO2 forms H2CO3. But among the H2CO3 that forms, a relatively significant fraction (nowhere near a majority, but a bigger fraction than HF) dissociates to H+ and (HCO3)- and a very tiny fraction of the (HCO3)- further dissociates into H+ and (CO3)2-.

So this
H2CO3 + H2O ->HCO3- + H3O+ is more likely

than this
H2CO3 -> CO2 + H2O

What about
CO2 + H2O -> H2CO3 + H2O -> HCO3- + H3O+

So this
H2CO3 + H2O ->HCO3- + H3O+ is more likely

than this
H2CO3 -> CO2 + H2O

What about
CO2 + H2O -> H2CO3 + H2O -> HCO3- + H3O+

ADD THE FOLLOWING REACTIONS

CO2 + H2O---->H2CO3 + H2O

H2CO3+H2O---->HCO3- + H3O+
--------------------------
CO2+H2O ---->HCO3-+H3O+

...The overall reaction for the dissolution of CO2 to become HCO3- and H3O+ to increase the acidity of the aqueous solution.

The two reactions are essentially dependent on each other, so the question of whether one occurs to a greater extent is somewhat irrelevant.

let's clear things up:
so you got CO2 in H2O:

CO2 + H2O -> H2CO3 and H2CO3 + H2O -> HCO3- + H3O+

so that gives us:
CO2 + 2 H2O <-> HCO3- + H3O+ (K1= 4.16 x 10^(-7))
and because HCO3- is still an acid you get:
HCO3- + H2O <-> CO3(2-) + H3O+ (K2= 4.84 x 10^(-11))

so we have these concentrations:
[CO2]= C (given normally if you calculate pH, before the reaction)
[HCO3-]= X (for first reaction) and X-Y for both
[CO3(2-)]= Y
[H3O+]= X + Y

so again reactions with concentrations underneath:
CO2 + 2 H2O <-> HCO3- + H3O+
[CO2]= C-X
[HCO3-]= X
[H3O+]= X

HCO3- + H2O <-> CO3(2-) + H3O+
[HCO3-]= X-Y
[CO3(2-)]= Y
[H3O+]= Y

this means that K1 and K2 have these expressions:

K1= ( (X-Y).(X+Y) ) / ( C-X )

K2= ( Y.(X+Y) ) / ( X-Y )

you might not know this but there is a rule like this:
IF C > 100.K1 then X is negligible compared to C (which is most likely the case)
and also in this case X > 10^(-7),
so we can say that X > 100.K2 (which says that Y is negligible compared to C)

this means that we can calculate X for expression for K1
=> K1= ( X . X ) / (C) so: X= sqrt( K1 . C )

same for Y:
=> K2= ( Y . X ) / (X) so ofcourse: Y= K2

(i probably lost you long ago but for people who are still with me:)

if you take C= 0.04 M (before CO2 is put into the H2O)

[HCO3-]=X-Y= 1.29 x 10^(-4)
[CO3(2-)]=Y= 4.84 x 10^(-11)
[H3O+]= X + Y= 1.29 x 10^(-4)

so pH= 3.89 (pH=-log([H3O+]) <=> first pH= 7 (H2O)

clearly Belgium is owning again :rolleyes:

Last edited:
BartDT, I haven't really learned what you wrote but I will post what I have realized from what people like Gokul and GT have said:

It is more likely for H2CO3 to form H2O+CO2 than vice versa so the reaction that occur most often is

H2CO3 + H2O -> 2H20 + CO2 -> HCO3- + H3O+ -> 2H3O+ + (CO3)2-

Although if no H2CO3 or carbonic acid is involved than we could start with water and carbon dioxide and start the reaction from there. Ultimately, it will lead to increase in H+ ions in the solution hence to answer the question of the thread Will carbondioxide will increse acidity? YES. Is my analysis correct?

pivoxa15 said:
BartDT, I haven't really learned what you wrote but I will post what I have realized from what people like Gokul and GT have said:

It is more likely for H2CO3 to form H2O+CO2 than vice versa
This is not what I said. In fact, such a statement actually makes no sense from a chemistry point of view. The correct way to talk about reactions is to discuss the equilibrium conditions and the kinetics that lead to it. At equilibrium, the H2CO3 is as likely to make H2O + CO2 (in a given window of time) as the reverse reaction (by definition).

If you have not studied chemical equilibria and kinetics, you should wait until you do, before you try to answer questions about chemical equilibria.

1. What is the relationship between carbon dioxide and acidity?

Carbon dioxide dissolves in water to form carbonic acid, which increases the overall acidity of the solution.

2. How does increased carbon dioxide lead to ocean acidification?

When carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere increase, more of it is absorbed by the ocean, leading to an increase in carbonic acid and a decrease in pH levels, resulting in ocean acidification.

3. What effects does ocean acidification have on marine life?

Ocean acidification can have harmful effects on marine life, such as damaging the shells and skeletons of organisms, disrupting their ability to form new ones, and altering the growth and development of some species.

4. How do human activities contribute to the increase of carbon dioxide and ocean acidification?

The burning of fossil fuels, deforestation, and other human activities release large amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, which is then absorbed by the ocean, leading to increased acidity.

5. Can ocean acidification be reversed?

While some measures can be taken to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and slow down the process of ocean acidification, the effects are long-lasting and will require significant efforts to reverse.