Cardinality of infinite subset of infinite set

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Bipolarity
Messages
773
Reaction score
2
Am a bit confused about the meaning of cardinality. If ## A \subseteq B ##, then is it necessarily the case that ## |A| \leq |B| ##?

I am thinking that since ## A \subseteq B ##, an injection from A to B exists, hence its cardinality cannot be greater than that of B?

But this cannot be correct, since ##\mathbb{Z}## and ##\mathbb{Q}## have the same cardinality?

Where am I wrong?

Thanks!

BiP
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right. If ##A\subseteq B##, then ##|A|\leq |B|##.

In particular, ##|\mathbb{Z}|\leq |\mathbb{Q}|## is true. Don't confuse this with ##|\mathbb{Z}|< |\mathbb{Q}|##, which is false.
 
R136a1 said:
You are right. If ##A\subseteq B##, then ##|A|\leq |B|##.

In particular, ##|\mathbb{Z}|\leq |\mathbb{Q}|## is true. Don't confuse this with ##|\mathbb{Z}|< |\mathbb{Q}|##, which is false.

I see. So which of the following is true?
##|\mathbb{Z}|< |\mathbb{Q}|##
##|\mathbb{Z}|= |\mathbb{Q}|##

Thanks!

BiP