Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cardinality of the set of ordinal numbers

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1
    Does anyone happen to know what the cardinality of the set of ordinal number (transfinite and otherwise) is? A simplified proof would also be much appreciated. Recently I have been very interested in transfinite numbers and the logically gorgeous proofs involved :D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The ordinal numbers do not form a set. There are too much ordinal numbers in order for it to be a set. Instead, the ordinal numbers form a "proper class".

Thus, since the ordinal numbers do not form a set, they do not have a cardinality. Likewise, the cardinal numbers do not form a set and thus don't have a well-defined cardinality.

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3
    Can't you make a set out of anything? I already know the ordinals are uncountably infinate, so I just want it one step farther, "how" uncountably infinate.

PS. I mean the set of the numbers themselves, not the sets they describe.

5. Aug 25, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, you can't make a set out of anything! That's the biggest difference between "naive set theory" and "axiomatic set theory". In axiomatic set theory, there are strict limitations on what can be a set and what can't be a set. It turns out that the ordinals do not form a set.

I don't know how much you know about ordinals, but here's an easy argument why the ordinals cannot be a set:

Assume that there exists a set A consisting of all the ordinals. Then [itex]\bigcup{A}[/itex] is an ordinal [itex]\alpha[/itex]. But then [itex]\alpha+1[/itex] is an ordinal which is not contained in A.

The above proof is known as the Burali-Forti paradox. It was one of the reasons that axiomatic set theory was developed.

6. Aug 27, 2011 #5
    Oh. Fun stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook