Career Advice for Living and Working in Switzerland

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Wortgewandtheit
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello, first post here, didn't know this existed until very recently.

I was going to ask if anyone could give me some advice regarding living and working in Switzerland.
I will be done with my Bachelor's in Physics (With a specialty in Research, this is a Swedish invention, but it amounts to getting an additional diploma that attests that you have a wider expertise in research than a regular student would) in little more than a year, the final year will be spent in Switzerland as part of an internship.

I have been to this wonderful country before and I find it absolutely lovely, so my idea is to eventually move to and work there. I am planning to get a Master's Degree in Astronomy and Space Physics and then a Master's Degree in Particle Physics in order to apply for a PhD position in Theoretical Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics. How viable is this?

And what does the job market for this type of field look like? I have tried googling my brains out but there's no conclusive answer.

Eventually I would also like to apply for a citizenship within Switzerland.

I am fluent in Swedish, English, German, French and Japanese, if this matters.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not so familiar with your field of research, but I guess that CERN will be a good employer? I lived in Switzerland for a couple of months for my internship at the ETH in Zurich and I seriously considered doing my PhD there. I love the country and the people. If you are good at what you do, and this is also proven by your grades, you can certainly achieve your career plans. If you are a mediocre student, then it will be much, much harder to follow this career path.