1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career change how to be realistic

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    Hi everybody,
    27 years old, bored about my admin job, I really love the idea to change career patch going into mech/electric engineering but It's seems pretty hard...I used to study little physics and chemistry at school but I don't remember anything. I went to study economy but I didn't compleated my degree 'cause I suffered of depression and eating disorder..but that's the past and I feel I didn't really follow my interest..so...too late to start an engineering course..currently living in Italy...but I would move to here and study aboard..maybe UK maybe Australia 'cause USA is too espensive..I still need to improve my English and I'm working on it...I just want know if anybody went into a similar situetion..need some inspiration story guys...live is just one and I don't want have any regrets...

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2
    I am 32 and am a year into my EE program. With working full time and school full time, I'll be 36 when I'm done.

It's never too late to start. But if you are thinking about it, start now and don't wait. Otherwise you will be 32 and making this same post. ;)

On a side note; there are people much older on this board doing the exact same thing.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    As a very close friend of mine says, never say no to what your heart says. You ll invariably end up regretting that you didnt listen to yourself back then.

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4
    Thanks guys...support help always...I would love be more confident and don't feel bad...some men right now are changing the world...me, closed in my room I would love to do the same...make a contribution doing something that I love...thanks again

6. Nov 17, 2009 #5

MacLaddy

Gold Member

Well, just like erok81, I am 31 and getting ready to start electrical engineering in January.

I think there comes a time in your life when you finally realize, and I mean you really finally get it, that no matter what you are doing the time is going to pass by. So it's a simple choice you have to make. Do you want to sit in your bedroom wondering how to change the world, or get out there and actually do it?

No matter what you choose to do the small fraction of your life that it takes is going to tick by anyway.

7. Nov 21, 2009 #6
    Yes I also agree that you must do what your heart want.if you want to change your career then go for it.

8. Aug 20, 2010 #7
    Go for it man, you'll regret no trying. I've been thinking the exact same thing and I'm 26 going on 27 now. I really want to start again and I'm taking initial steps like posting here and doing some research to start anew. Stick around here too, lots of nice people.

9. Aug 23, 2010 #8
    Well said, and regret is a terrible thing to have. IMO engineering is a relatively safe bet because the career prospects are good.

27 here and getting ready to go back to school myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook