Mid-Life Career Change: Seeking Advice

In summary, the individual is a 45-year-old postgraduate in statistics who has been working in a private manufacturing company for 20 years. They have resigned from their job and are now searching for new opportunities, but are facing difficulty due to their diverse work experience and education gap. They are considering pursuing a mathematics degree to explore teaching opportunities, but are also open to searching for jobs in the industry. Other suggestions include getting a graduate degree in the teaching of math or branching out into fields like data analytics with a degree in computer science.
Parag Kulkarni
Hi,
I am basically 45 years old postgraduate in statistics but, unfortunately, I joined private manufacturing company and worked there for 20 years. Now I have resigned from a job and searching new opportunities. But it is very difficult to get a job as industry won't accept me due to the problem in resume ( I have worked in different domains in the same company) . Academics will not accept me due to the gap in education. Should I pursue Mathematics degree ( because it interests me and, here in India, there are many teaching opportunities ) to try my hand in academics or stick to search in industry till I get the right opportunity? I hope I was able to explain my story. Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that teaching would be a good option where you could study on the side and teach math subjects upto to your level.

Here in the states to teach a community college you need a MS in Math to teach or a MS and at least 20 grad credit hours in Math.

You could also consider getting an graduate degree in the "teaching of math". It's not the same as a graduate math degree might be doable.

The only other option I can think of is to go back for MS in comp-sic and branch out into fields like data analytics where your statistics knowledge could be leveraged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Parag Kulkarni

1. How do I know if a mid-life career change is the right decision for me?

Making a mid-life career change is a big decision and it's important to carefully consider your options before taking the leap. Start by reflecting on your current career and identifying what aspects you are unhappy with. Then, research potential new careers and consider if they align with your interests, skills, and values. It may also be helpful to speak with a career counselor or mentor for guidance.

2. Will I have to start over from the bottom in a new career?

It depends on the specific career you are transitioning into. Some careers may require additional education or training, which could mean starting at an entry-level position. However, your previous work experience and transferable skills can still be valuable in your new career and may help you advance more quickly. It's important to research the career path and opportunities within your chosen field.

3. How do I make the transition financially feasible?

A mid-life career change can be a financial challenge, but there are ways to make it more feasible. Consider saving up money before making the change, or look for part-time or freelance work in your new field while still working in your current job. You may also want to speak with a financial advisor to create a budget and plan for the transition.

4. What steps should I take to make a successful career change?

The key to a successful career change is planning and preparation. Start by researching your desired career and identifying the necessary skills and qualifications. Then, create a plan for gaining those skills, whether through education, training, or networking. It's also important to update your resume and online presence to reflect your new career goals.

5. How do I deal with any fears or doubts about making a mid-life career change?

It's natural to have fears and doubts when making a big life change, but it's important to address them. Talk to friends, family, or a therapist about your concerns. You can also seek out support and advice from others who have made successful career changes. Remember that change can be scary, but it can also lead to growth and fulfillment in the long run.