Career Paths for Physics Grads: Ideas & Advice

In summary, there are many career options available for physics graduates, including jobs in applied materials, technology companies like Intel, and with organizations like the FBI. Other options include meteorology, weapons and aerospace design, particle physics, financial services, accounting, actuary, and teaching. Many physics graduates also choose to stay in academia, although the pay may not be as high. The suitability for finance careers may depend on a graduate's skills in statistics, particularly in areas like differential equations and econometrics.
reality_00
I have just finished my first year of studying for a physics degree at university, and have started thinking about what possible careers will be open to me when i have graduated. Anyone have any ideas as to the best jobs that are out there for physics grads? Or any jobs to avoid? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
most people continue in the university, and complete a master degree before looking for a job, atleast around here...

some of my friends went to work for applied matterials and intel, though i don't know if they like it there, they haven't really started to work yet...

My uncle pursued his masters, and works with the FBI. They hire physics folks all the time.

There are loads of jobs for qualified physics grads, meterology (weather forecasting), weapons / aerospace design, particle Physics careers (CERN, SLAC etc..), financial services, accouting, actuary, teaching etc...

Lots of physics grad I know have kept in academia (which in the UK is supprising as they pay us peanuts), it depends on how much you love your physics. Also your suitability to finance (loads of money) will depend on your ability in statistics. If your excellent with your differential equations what kinda leads naturally to time series statstics, and in turn econometrics which is what the big banks are looking for.

There are loads of jobs for qualified physics grads, meterology (weather forecasting), weapons / aerospace design, particle Physics careers (CERN, SLAC etc..), financial services, accouting, actuary, teaching etc...

Lots of physics grad I know have kept in academia (which in the UK is supprising as they pay us peanuts), it depends on how much you love your physics. Also your suitability to finance (loads of money) will depend on your ability in statistics. If your excellent with your differential equations what kinda leads naturally to time series statstics, and in turn econometrics which is what the big banks are looking for.

Related to Career Paths for Physics Grads: Ideas & Advice

1. What career options are available for physics graduates?

Physics graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, finance, education, and technology.

2. How can I use my physics degree in a non-traditional field?

A physics degree can be valuable in non-traditional fields such as data analysis, patent law, and science journalism. It is important to highlight transferable skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical abilities.

3. What skills do I need to succeed in a physics-related career?

Aside from technical knowledge, employers also look for skills such as communication, teamwork, adaptability, and time management. These skills can be developed through coursework, internships, and extracurricular activities.

4. Is graduate school necessary for a career in physics?

While a graduate degree may be required for certain positions, there are many opportunities for physics graduates with just a bachelor's degree. It is important to research the specific requirements for your desired career path.

5. How can I gain relevant experience while in school?

There are many ways to gain experience in the field of physics, such as internships, research projects, and participating in student organizations. It is also beneficial to attend conferences and networking events to make connections and learn about different career paths.