Cars: questions, opinions and maybe some answers.

In summary: I can't do it. I was taught at a young age how to finesse a clutch and ever since then; other than ONE time, I have not been in control of a car with an automatic transmission. I'll explain that one time in just a moment. Now, my attempt at driving an automatic car. For the record it was a truck; my fathers Ford explorer. We just got out of the chiropractor and, he was in no shape to drive. I had been going for nearly six months at the time so I was used to it, my father could barely walk. So, I got in the truck, turned the key, couldn't find reverse and kept the E-brake on. After all of
offtheleft
I'm leaving it to me to start a thread on cars, I hope I put it in the correct part of the forum. None the less, I'll start with a point than I'll start to ask a few questions and expect some opinions and answers.

I can't drive automatic. No, it's not a type or a joke, I just can't do it. I was taught at a young age how to finesse a clutch and ever since then; other than ONE time, I have not been in control of a car with an automatic transmission. I'll explain that one time in just a moment I'll explain something first. I have the ILL ADHD. So, I have to be constantly doing something (like working the clutch and shifting) or I'll go in sane, forget that I'm driving and touching everything in arms reach.

Now, my attempt at driving an automatic car. For the record it was a truck; my fathers Ford explorer. We just got out of the chiropractor and, he was in no shape to drive. I had been going for nearly six months at the time so I was used to it, my father could barely walk. So, I got in the truck, turned the key, couldn't find reverse and kept the E-brake on. After all of that was sorted out I backed up and when I went to slow down, I thought the brake was the clutch, floored it and gave my father whiplash. I had to bring him back into the chiropractors office and call my mother to come bring my car and take him home.

I'm looking to get a new car. Not 'new' but, in addition to/to replace my current car. First off, my car is too much trouble. I have a 2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged and, it's a nice ticket magnet. Despite that, it can be quite dangerous especially in the hands of an inexperienced/limited experienced driver. I've been in and around cars my whole life and even before I had my license I was driving my uncles '69 stingray so the power isn't threatening to me but, it's the stupid 'kids' looking to race anything they see on the road. And, believe it or not, I've been pulled over for racing when I wasn't actually racing. The visual appearance of my car and some idiot in a Honda right next to me with an exhaust the size of a chock-full-o-nuts can really gets the cops jumpy.

Okay, back to the topic of car shopping. I posted something about this before but it had regards to school. This time around we're going to forget about economy, school, and money. They're all a nonissue. I'm VERY interested in: 2004 VW r32. I'd probably have the new one (2006/8?) by now if it was offered in 6-speed manual instead of the flappy paddle DSG tranny. I'll be more broad and state all of the things I'm interested in. 2002 VW gti 337 edition, 2003 VW gti 20thae edition, 2004 VW r32. Yeah, I love Volks Wagen, haven't you noticed? :)

I like the r32 because it is, to me, ascetically pleasing to the eye, the interior is comfortable, it sounds nice (i love that 3.2L vr6 <3), the all-wheel-drive makes it safe for NJ winters. The gti's merely look very similar, four cylinder and pretty good on gas but that turbo makes the insurance parallel to the r32.

I'm also going to use money from selling my current car to buy my mother a car. She has really bad knee and ankle problems now and it's killing her to constantly have to drive a stick. Especially since my clutch is heavy and is a pain in the behind.

What's everyone else driving? Anything interesting, stupid fast or rare? I'm just curious, bored and killing time between the three hour gap in my classes. :P

Physics news on Phys.org
I drive a Toyota Conquest, which no has heard of I guess. It's small, ugly, slow and I love it. Very reliable and no one wants to steal it, which is why I like it. I'm not interested in cars that are supposed to help me look cool or pick up girls (I'm saying anything about you offtheleft)- that's my job.

Alfa 156. Gorgeous machine! Plus the 'weekend car', a Caterham type kit.

'96 Geo Prism. 0 to 60 in about 12 seconds. Puke-beige. Surprisingly good gas mileage, possibly because the whole car weighs about as much as me.

The side of the door got dented and unofficially it's totaled

It looks like you are going to be buying two cars. One for you and one for your grandmother.

Do grandma a favor and get her an automatic.

The first place to start is with your car buying budget.

Why not just get a car with an auto-stick? I think the G6 has got one and so do a lot of the mazda's and the diamler crossfire.

I drive a 05 honda civic. Its small, goes no where in snow, and everything in it breaks easily. But it gets great gas mileage and is very reliable so I can't really complain.

Can't beat a Lamborghini Gallardo or a Ferrari 360 Scuderia. Perhaps a DBS or DB9 if you want a nice V12 tourer.

Kurdt said:
Can't beat a Lamborghini Gallardo or a Ferrari 360 Scuderia. Perhaps a DBS or DB9 if you want a nice V12 tourer.

nah, I am partial to the bugatti veyron. sixteen cylinders and four turbos making 1001 horsepower. i have actually driven the gallardo, i wish i could afford it haha.

if i were to get something "auto stick" id get the new r32. it has the DSG transmission aka. flappy paddle shifters.

and its not for my grand mother, its for my mother.

I learned how to drive in a 3-on-the-floor Corvair. Driving an automatic was tough for me, too. I'd go for the clutch and wind up locking up the brakes, complete with the squealing tires. It was really embarrassing, not to mention dangerous - I was lucky no one was ever tailgating me when I did that.

I drive a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It gets lousy gas mileage, but it's great off-road. It has a six-speed manual with a 4.46:1 1st gear and a .84:1 6th gear. With a 4:1 transfer case and 4.11 axle gears, the final drive ratio in 1st gear, 4WLo is 73:1. It has Dana 44 axles with air lockers front and rear. Basically, it'll climb anything as long as I can keep at least one wheel on the ground. I have a winch for those rare instances, though.

If you really love to shift gears, just get any under-powered 70's Datsun/Nissan, Toyota, etc. My dad's 1971 Datsun 1600cc 4-speed pickup was GREAT practice!

Drive a Jeep Liberty right now. If I had the money for a new car I sure do like that new dodge challenger, I think this year they are bringing it out with the pistol grip shifter for the manual. The Nissan altima coupe is more realistically on my list, not so realistically the infinity G-35 coupe.

pantaz said:
If you really love to shift gears, just get any under-powered 70's Datsun/Nissan, Toyota, etc. My dad's 1971 Datsun 1600cc 4-speed pickup was GREAT practice!

actually, i almost picked up a 240sx with a sr20dett swap for like 6k. but, at the time i was looking for something quick and my car was just as quick. and, i didnt want to the pay the difference in the insurance.

and speaking of the g35 coupe.. take a look at the g37, it looks like a winner. but, if i were to get anything nissan it would be the 350z. exactly the same as t he g35 but not as luxurious. id get the gtr if i had the money though. its a really nice car.

I drive a 10 year old honda accord. Drives good for the most part. If I had to buy another car I like the subaru outback because you can fit lots of stuff in the back. It's very utilitarian. I know someone that has one. It drives smooth and is quiet and has a nice interior.

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/2008-subaru-impreza-interior.jpg

The gas milage is so-so... 20 city / 26 hwy

That's close to what my 10 year old accord does, and I drive hard and floor it constantly.

I want my next car to have more functionality than the one I have (which is a lot). When I want to drive around in a nice car I'll get my friend to drive me in his new black M45 or my other friends black Mercedes CLK coupe. They both have ballin cars...but they also pay 10x more to fix them for minor wear and tear. Their parts are super expensive to replace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a '96 Honda Civic LX. I love it! Cheap to fix too, but hardly ever has anything wrong with it.

Cyrus said:
I drive a 10 year old honda accord. Drives good for the most part. If I had to buy another car I like the subaru outback because you can fit lots of stuff in the back. It's very utilitarian. I know someone that has one. It drives smooth and is quiet and has a nice interior.

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/2008-subaru-impreza-interior.jpg

The gas milage is so-so... 20 city / 26 hwy

That's close to what my 10 year old accord does, and I drive hard and floor it constantly.

I want my next car to have more functionality than the one I have (which is a lot). When I want to drive around in a nice car I'll get my friend to drive me in his new black M45 or my other friends black Mercedes CLK coupe. They both have ballin cars...but they also pay 10x more to fix them for minor wear and tear. Their parts are super expensive to replace.

i like the subarus. of course, id aim my eyes right at the sti but like you said about the outback. there's a lot of room. which is why I am strongly considering the r32/gti. the hatch back is very useful. considering i make a valiant effort to not drive anymore than 1 person i might as well remove the back seats for extra room or what ever. it would be good for a good number of back and forths moving in and out of school every semester.

offtheleft said:
i like the subarus. of course, id aim my eyes right at the sti but like you said about the outback. there's a lot of room. which is why I am strongly considering the r32/gti. the hatch back is very useful. considering i make a valiant effort to not drive anymore than 1 person i might as well remove the back seats for extra room or what ever. it would be good for a good number of back and forths moving in and out of school every semester.

You won't fit a 10 foot wingspan model airplane into the trunk of an STI.

Cyrus said:
You won't fit a 10 foot wingspan model airplane into the trunk of an STI.

this is true. i can probably fit it in an r32/gti though. put the back seats down and put it vertical through the car :P
i would never get an sti though but i do love the sound of the boxter engine.

I've always thought cars were cool.

The following vid is a bit long. sleep, sleep, yawn, yawn.

All you need is a good "Varooooom" stereo system to scare the blind people out of the crosswalks...

Offtheleft,

EV's don't have clutches, or transmissions. Do not be afraid.

I win

Cyrus said:

I win

sweet jesus.

look at that 2500 hp mustang or some of the 1200+hp supras. after some point all you hear is the turbo. its unreal

1. What is the impact of cars on the environment?

Cars have a significant impact on the environment, primarily through carbon emissions and air pollution. The burning of gasoline and diesel fuels releases carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, into the atmosphere, contributing to climate change. Cars also emit pollutants such as nitrogen oxides, particulate matter, and hydrocarbons, which can harm human health and contribute to smog and acid rain. Additionally, the production and maintenance of cars require the use of natural resources and energy, further impacting the environment.

2. Are electric cars really better for the environment?

Electric cars have the potential to be better for the environment compared to traditional gasoline or diesel cars. This is because they do not emit carbon dioxide or other pollutants while driving. However, the production and disposal of electric car batteries can also have environmental impacts, and the electricity used to charge the batteries may come from non-renewable sources. It is important to consider the entire life cycle of a car when determining its environmental impact.

3. What advancements are being made in car technology?

There are many advancements being made in car technology, with a focus on improving fuel efficiency and reducing emissions. Some examples include hybrid and electric cars, which use a combination of gasoline and electricity to power the vehicle. There are also advancements in autonomous driving technology, which has the potential to make driving safer and more efficient. Other technologies being developed include alternative fuel sources, such as hydrogen fuel cells, and lightweight materials to improve fuel efficiency.

4. How do cars affect the economy?

Cars have a significant impact on the economy, both positively and negatively. On one hand, the automotive industry provides jobs and contributes to the economy through the production and sale of cars. However, the reliance on cars for transportation can also have negative effects, such as traffic congestion, which can lead to lost productivity and increased fuel consumption. Cars also require significant amounts of money to purchase, maintain, and fuel, which can impact individuals' budgets and the overall economy.

5. What can individuals do to reduce their impact on the environment through car usage?

There are several actions individuals can take to reduce their impact on the environment through car usage. These include choosing alternative modes of transportation, such as biking or using public transportation when possible. For those who need a car, choosing a fuel-efficient or electric vehicle can help to reduce emissions. Regular maintenance and proper tire inflation can also improve a car's fuel efficiency. Additionally, carpooling or combining errands into one trip can help to reduce the number of cars on the road, reducing congestion and emissions.