Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian product of a family of countable sets is countable!

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    Proposition: Let [tex] \{A_n\}_{n\in I}[/tex] be a family of countable sets. Prove that

[tex] \bigotimes_{i=1}^n A_i[/tex]

is a countable set.

Proof:

Since [tex] \{A_n\}_{n\in I}[/tex]

are countable, there are 1-1 functions

[tex] f_n:A_n->J[/tex]

(J, the set of positive integers)

Now let us define a function

[tex] h:\bigotimes_{i=1}^n A_i->J[/tex]

such that

[tex] h(a_1,a_2,...,a_n)=(p_1)^{f_1(a_1)}*(p_2)^{f_2(a_2)}*...*(p_n)^{f_n(a_n)}[/tex]

Where p_i are prime numbers such that

[tex] 2\leq p_1<p_2<...<p_n[/tex]

Now from the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic,it is clear that h is a 1-1 function. So, based on some previous theorems, we conclude that

[tex]\bigotimes_{i=1}^n A_i[/tex]

is a countable set.

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2
    Your topic title should include the word finite (you have written it up as such in your proposition, though)

That is pretty much the proof I have always seen for the theorem, although you may have to explain the 'previous theorems' you mentioned

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3
    THe previous theorem(s) are basically that every infinite subset of J is countable. And also that every subset of a countable set is countable.

The reason i posted this is that i've only seen a theorem that proves for the case of only two sets A, B, so i wanted to generalize on the idea. THe motvation behind this came from another problem i was working on. It looked like i needed to prove this proposition before could tackle that problem...and it worked out fine.

5. Sep 14, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In fact, it is true that a the union of countable collection of countable sets is countable:
    Imagine writing the sets in a row and the members of each set is a column below the set. Now, "zig-zag" through the array.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook