Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian Product of Permutations?

1. Nov 13, 2013 #1
    Suppose I was asked if [itex] G \cong H \times G/H [/itex]. At first I considered a familiar group, [itex]G = S_3 [/itex] with its subgroup [itex]H = A_3 [/itex]. I know that the quotient group is the cosets of [itex]H[/itex], but then I realized that I have no idea how to interpret a Cartesian product of any type of set with elements that aren't just numbers. An ordered pair of permutations doesn't make sense (this is not a homework question). I'd be grateful for some clarity.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If G1 and G2 are groups, then
    [tex] G_1 \times G_2 = \{ (g_1,g_2)\ :\ g_1 \in G_1,\ g_2\in G_2 \} [/tex]
    with the multiplication
    [tex] (g_1,g_2)\cdot (h_1,h_2) = (g_1 h_1, g_2 h_2) [/tex].

So if you have G = S3, and H = A3, G/H is isomorphic to the two element group {1,-1} (where each permutation gets mapped to its parity), and a general element of A3 x (S3/A3) is [itex] (\sigma, \pm 1 ) [/itex] where sigma here is any even permutation.

For example,
    [tex] \left( (1 2 3 ),-1 \right) \cdot \left( (1 2 3), 1 \right) = \left( (1 3 2), -1 \right) [/tex]
    is a multiplication inside of this group.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook