Cartesian scalar equation of plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the Cartesian scalar equation of a plane, which is defined as Ax+By+Cz=D, where (a,b,c) is the normal vector to the plane. The vector expression for a plane is n.(r - {r_0})=0, where {r_0} is the point of intersection and r is the position vector. Cartesian refers to the rectangular coordinate system, and both (a) and (b) are examples of Cartesian forms for the equation of a plane. The conversation also clarifies the role of the constant D in the equation.
yxj
Just wanted to confirm. Cartesian scalar equation of plane refers to equation of plane right?
As in Ax+By+Cz=D. which i think is the vector equation of a plane. I'm getting confused and need clarification
thank you

edit= ok sorry.. i think i got it figured out =p scalar is there because.. equation of plane is a dot product. right?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The expression

ax+by+cz+d=0 refers to a plane and is the general scalar Cartesion expression.

(Aside I wonder if the other expression you were referring to is the direction cosine version

lx+my+nz+p=0.)

This in itself is not a vector expression either, but it does lead to the identification of a unique vector, normal to the plane.

This vector, n = (a,b,c)

The vector expression for a plane is given by

[tex]n.(r - {r_0})[/tex]

edit should read

[tex]n.(r - {r_0})=0[/tex]

n intersects the plane at the point [tex]{r_0} = ({x_0},{y_0},{z_0})[/tex]

r is the position vector [tex]r = (x,y,z)[/tex]

ax+by+cz
This part of the equation defines a series of parallel planes all normal to the vector n
d
selects the particular plane of interest

Last edited:
and cartesian form would be (x,y,z).(#,#,#)=# or Ax+By+Cz=D

Cartesian refers to rectangular coordinates x,y,z.
As opposed to some other coordinate system eg r,[tex]\phi[/tex],[tex]\theta[/tex]

erm.. thah means.. if they were to ask cartesian form of equation of plane should i write
a) (x,y,z).(A,B,C)=D aka r.(A,B,C,)=D
b) Ax+By+Cz=D

ax+by+cz+d=0 refers to a plane and is the general scalar Cartesion expression.

I've said it once.

You can put the d on the other side of the equation if you like, so long as you are careful to get the signs right.

With regards to your last post

Both (a) and (b) are cartesian since n and r are cartesian vectors.

Cartesian refers to the coordinate system, not the vectors or the planes themselves.

(b) I think (b) is the form you are looking for.

(a) is not quite correct - the expression should not contain d - this is already included in [tex]{r_0}[/tex] - your expression should equal zero, not =D.

Sorry I missed the =0 from the vector expression earlier I have amended that post.

Last edited:
thank you so much.. it's much clearer now xD

Glad to help.

What is the Cartesian scalar equation of a plane?

The Cartesian scalar equation of a plane is a mathematical representation of a plane in three-dimensional space. It is written in the form Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is a constant.

How is the Cartesian scalar equation of a plane derived?

The Cartesian scalar equation of a plane is derived using the normal vector of the plane and a point on the plane. The normal vector is perpendicular to the plane, and its components become the coefficients A, B, and C in the equation. The constant term D is found by substituting the coordinates of the given point into the equation.

What is the significance of the coefficients in the Cartesian scalar equation of a plane?

The coefficients A, B, and C in the Cartesian scalar equation of a plane determine the orientation of the plane in three-dimensional space. They also affect the slope of the plane in the x, y, and z directions.

How is the Cartesian scalar equation of a plane used in real-world applications?

The Cartesian scalar equation of a plane is used in various fields, such as engineering and physics, to model and analyze three-dimensional objects and systems. It can also be used in computer graphics to render three-dimensional objects on a two-dimensional screen.

How is the Cartesian scalar equation of a plane related to the vector equation of a plane?

The vector equation of a plane is another way to represent a plane in three-dimensional space. It is written as r = r0 + ta + sb, where r is a position vector, r0 is a known point on the plane, a and b are direction vectors, and t and s are parameters. The coefficients in the Cartesian scalar equation can be derived from the direction vectors in the vector equation.