Cascading filter transfer function

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of designing a 3-stage cascading digital filter to integrate an AC waveform. The transfer function for the filter is given as H(s)=G*(\frac{1}{\tau*s+1})^{3}, but since the signal is being sampled discretely, it needs to be converted to the Z domain using the Tustin transformation. The resulting transfer function is H(Z) = G*(\frac{1}{\tau[\frac{2(z-1)}{T(z+1)}]+1})^{3}. The conversation also mentions the use of partial fractions and the potential confusion with the z term in MATLAB. The need for help and potential solutions are also mentioned.
stiive
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum. Its been awhile since university, so I've unfortuntely forgotten most of my teachings on transfer functions it seems!

Basically I am trying to design a 3 stage cascading digital filter. I am sampling an AC waveform and need to integrate the signal. I'm getting some DC offset error from pure integration (trapezoidal method), so have decided to use a cascading filter with an adjustable cut-off freq (set just above the current variable AC electrical freq), and gain multiplication to compensate for attenuation and for the integration.

I have been told that the transfer function for the 3 identical stage filter of a sine would be
H(s)=[itex]G*(\frac{1}{\tau*s+1})^{3}[/itex]

Obviously as i am sampling discretely, I need to be in Z domain
So I think i'd apply tunstin transformation(?) ;

s=[itex]\frac{2(z-1)}{T(z+1)}[/itex]

therefore,

H(Z) = G*[itex](\frac{1}{\tau[\frac{2(z-1)}{T(z+1)}]+1})^{3}[/itex]

where [itex]\tau [/itex]= cut-off freq, G = gain, T = Δtime

But from here I'm kinda stuck, and would appreciate any prompting/help in the right direction. I'm guessing i'll need to do partial fractions? I have tried this, but the answer I got I'm fairly sure is wrong as most of the terms are future sample input/outputs (ie y[n+3], x[n+3]). Is perhaps the z term meant to be [itex]z^{-1}[/itex]? For instance, I have seen in MATLAB simulink the trapezoidal transfer function as;

[itex]\frac{K*Ts(z+1)}{2(z-1)}[/itex]

whereas i think it should be;

[itex]\frac{K*Ts(z^{-1}+1)}{2(z^{-1}-1)}[/itex]

Perhaps MATLAB uses geophysical(?) definition?

Perhaps also instead of tunstin transformation, i should just use [itex]s=z^{-1}[/itex]??

Thanks for any help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe move this to Elec Eng subforum.

1. What is a cascading filter transfer function?

A cascading filter transfer function is a mathematical representation of the combined frequency response of multiple filters that are connected in series. It describes how different filters affect the input signal and how the output signal is modified by each filter in the chain.

2. Why is a cascading filter transfer function useful?

A cascading filter transfer function allows us to analyze and design complex filter systems by breaking them down into simpler components. This makes it easier to understand the overall behavior of the system and make adjustments to achieve the desired output.

3. How is a cascading filter transfer function calculated?

The cascading filter transfer function is calculated by multiplying the individual transfer functions of each filter in the chain. This can be done in the time domain by convolving the impulse response of each filter, or in the frequency domain by multiplying the frequency responses of each filter.

4. What are the advantages of using cascading filter transfer functions?

Using cascading filter transfer functions allows for more flexibility in designing and modifying filter systems. It also simplifies the analysis of complex systems and can result in more efficient and accurate filter designs.

5. Are there any limitations to using cascading filter transfer functions?

One limitation of cascading filter transfer functions is that they assume the filters are linear and time-invariant. In some cases, this may not accurately represent the behavior of the filters in the system. Additionally, the accuracy of the cascading filter transfer function depends on the accuracy of the individual transfer functions used in the calculation.