Casimir Effect? Seems there is a simpler solution than virtual-particles.

• Thread starter JDude13
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Okay. The Casimir Effect is supposedly the force which is applied by virtual particles on two plates in close proximity to each other, pushing them together.

They say that because there is no electromagnetism being applied to the plates, they must be pushed together by virtual particles.

Now I may not be an expert but I'm pretty sure that our universe is comprised of more than one force; four, infact; and that, maybe, we should suspect one of the other forces before we jump to wild conclusions.

What if, and I'm just spit-ballin' here... Gravity plays a part in this scenario? *gasp*

Tell me why I'm wrong, please.

Answers and Replies

We have the extremely successful theory of quantum electrodynamics to describe electromagnetism. The theory predicts a Casimir force between conducting plates. The experiment has been done, and the actual force measured agrees quantitatively with the theoretical prediction.

We also have an extremely successful theory of gravity. That theory predicts only negligibly small force between the same plates.

Since our mathematical theories make accurate quantitative predictions, it's simplest to accept that the theories are accurate and not invent alternative explanations just because the theories we have seem strange to us.

Oh... Okay thanks!