Casio fx-9860G - calculating binomial coefficients and binomial distribution

In summary, to calculate binomial coefficients on a Casio fx-9860G calculator, use the "C" function under the CATALOG and input the n and r values. For binomial distribution, go to "Menu", select "STAT", then "DIST", "BINM", "Bpd", change input to "Variable", enter data, and select "Execute". A helpful manual is also available at the provided link.
ZuzaMagda
How to calculate 1) binomial coefficients and 2) binomial distribution on a Casio fx-9860G calculator?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
try the NCR button

There is nothing like an "nCr button" on Casio fx-9860G, sorry. In any case, I have already found the answer, thank you.

For posterity:

To calculate binomial coefficients, you need to find the "C" function (the fat-looking C letter) under the CATALOG in the C's and type the n and r values on either side of the C as it appears on screen (e.g. 4C2).

To calculate binomial distribution, 1) go to "Menu", 2) select "STAT", 3) select "DIST" (under F5), 4) select "BINM" (under F5), 5) select "Bpd", 6) change inputting the DATA from "List" to "Variable" (F2), 7) enter your data and 8) select "Execute."

One more thing for posterity:

http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_manual/edu/en/fx9860GSD_9860G_E.pdf

Why wasn't this included in the package when I bought the calculator? In any case, I wish someone had shown me this link a year ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would like to highlight that the Casio fx-9860G calculator is a powerful tool for performing calculations related to binomial coefficients and binomial distribution. These calculations are essential in many areas of science, including statistics, probability, and genetics.

To calculate binomial coefficients on the Casio fx-9860G calculator, you can use the "nCr" function. This function allows you to calculate the number of ways to choose a subset of r objects from a set of n objects. To use this function, you can first input the value of n, press the "shift" button, and then press the "nCr" button. Next, input the value of r and press the "=" button to get the result.

To calculate binomial distribution, you can use the "binompdf" function. This function allows you to calculate the probability of getting a specific number of successes in a certain number of trials, given a probability of success. To use this function, you can input the number of trials, probability of success, and the number of successes you want to calculate the probability for. Then press the "shift" button, followed by the "binompdf" button, and then the "=" button to get the result.

Overall, the Casio fx-9860G calculator is a reliable and efficient tool for performing calculations related to binomial coefficients and binomial distribution. It can greatly aid scientists in their research and analysis, making it a valuable asset in the scientific community.

What is the Casio fx-9860G calculator?

The Casio fx-9860G is a scientific calculator designed for advanced mathematical calculations, including binomial coefficients and binomial distribution.

What are binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients are mathematical expressions used to calculate the number of ways to choose a subset of objects from a larger set, without regard to the order in which the objects are chosen. They are represented by the symbol "n choose k" or "nCk".

How do I calculate binomial coefficients on the Casio fx-9860G?

To calculate binomial coefficients on the Casio fx-9860G, you can use the combination function (nCr) located in the PROB menu. Simply input the values for n and k, and the calculator will give you the result.

What is binomial distribution?

Binomial distribution is a probability distribution that describes the likelihood of a certain number of successes in a series of independent trials, where each trial has only two possible outcomes (e.g. heads or tails, success or failure).

Can I use the Casio fx-9860G to calculate binomial distribution?

Yes, the Casio fx-9860G has a built-in binomial distribution function (binompdf) in the PROB menu. You can input the values for the number of trials, probability of success, and number of successes, and the calculator will give you the probability of obtaining that specific number of successes in the given number of trials.