Catapult Projectile Question wow

In summary, a catapult on a cliff launches a rock at a ship on the ocean below with a height of 35.0m above sea level, an angle of 48.7° above the horizontal, and a speed of 26.1m/s. Neglecting air friction, the horizontal distance traveled by the rock can be calculated using the equations y=y0+Vy0t-1/2gt^2 and x=x0+Vx0t. In this case, an error in setting up the quadratic formula led to incorrect answers, but once corrected, the correct distance of 17.72m was found.
dkbuono

Homework Statement

Catapult
A catapult on a cliff launches a large round rock towards a ship on the ocean below. The rock leaves the catapult from a height H = 35.0 m above sea level, directed at an angle theta = 48.7° above the horizontal, and with a speed v = 26.1 m/s. Assuming that air friction can be neglected, calculate the horizontal distance D traveled by the projectile.

Homework Equations

y=y0+Vy0t-1/2gt^2
x=x0+ Vx0t

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, So I plugged in my knowns to find the time for this, using the first equation setting it up like this 4.9t^2-19.6t+35, where vy0t=26.1*sin48.7 gave me 19.6 then I plugged in my values to the Quadratic formula where the answers I got were 2.97 and 1.03 respectively to find time, so I use the lower of the two numbers and I plug it back into x=x0+Vx0t, since intial D is 0 you add 26.1*cos(48.7) to give 17.2 then you times it to the time calculated 1.03 to get 17.72 m...its not right, I don't understand where I am going wrong I've set it up 7 different ways... This seems like a relatively easy question I only have 2 more tries left on it out of 10. Would someone point me in the right direction I am getting frustrated at this point and feel like and idiot considering its only ch.2.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recalculate your quadratic
4.9t^2-19.6t+35

Only this time I would use 4.9t2 - 19.6t - 35 = 0

You might get a better result.

LowlyPion thank you so much you were right that simple error completely distorted everything! :)

dkbuono said:
LowlyPion thank you so much you were right that simple error completely distorted everything! :)

I got very suspicious when I saw the solution had 2 imaginary answers.

Glad it worked out.

Good Luck.

LowlyPion said:
I got very suspicious when I saw the solution had 2 imaginary answers.

I'm going to have to write that one down. :biggrin:

1. What is a catapult?

A catapult is a type of ancient weapon used to launch projectiles over long distances. It typically consists of a long arm with a bucket or sling at one end and a counterweight at the other end. When the counterweight is released, it causes the arm to swing and launch the projectile.

2. How does a catapult work?

A catapult works by utilizing the principles of potential and kinetic energy. When the counterweight is raised, it has potential energy. When it is released, it transforms into kinetic energy, causing the arm to swing and launch the projectile.

3. What are the different types of catapults?

There are several types of catapults, including the trebuchet, mangonel, and ballista. These differ in their design and the way they launch projectiles. The trebuchet, for example, uses a counterweight, while the mangonel and ballista use tension from twisted ropes or bundles of hair.

4. What types of projectiles can a catapult launch?

A catapult can launch a variety of projectiles, including rocks, stones, and spears. In modern times, catapults have been used to launch pumpkins, watermelons, and other objects for fun competitions.

5. What is the purpose of a catapult?

The purpose of a catapult is to launch projectiles over long distances, typically for military or defensive purposes. Catapults were commonly used in ancient warfare to launch projectiles at enemy fortifications or troops.