Finding two variables in projectile motion

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving projectile motion and hitting targets with a red bird from a catapult. The problem has two parts, with the first involving hitting a single target and the second involving hitting two targets at different distances and heights. The equations used are x = Vx(initial)*t and y = Vy(initial)t - 1/2gt^2, with g = 9.8 m/s^2. The solution for part (a) is V = sqrt((g*d^2)/(2*cos^2(θ)(h+d*tanθ))), while for part (b) the equations are 0=l*tanθ - g/2*(l^2)/(v^2cos^2
Makonia

Homework Statement

You are the chief of the Angry Birds (Google it, if you don’t know the reference...it’s not important). You can shoot red birds from a catapult, and they will fly as projectiles under the effect of gravity. Gravity points downwards and has magnitude g = 9.80 m/s2 . Your goal is to hit some nasty green pigs, who have stolen your Angry Bird Eggs. You are able to adjust the angle θ and speed v of the projectile, as it leaves the catapult. The projectile leaves the catapult at a height h above the ground.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2Fb855d7c86b55ca41dfb05406fd07a683.png

a) First, consider the case when a single green pig is placed on the ground, at a distance d from the foot of the catapult. Find a relation between the angle and speed required to hit it. Remember to draw a sketch of the situation.

b) Next consider the case where there are two green pigs. One on the ground at a distance d as before, the other at a distance l < d, and placed on a pole of height h. What should you choose for θ and v in order to hit both pigs 1 with the same red bird? Why must one require l < d? Remember to draw a sketch of the situation.

Homework Equations

This task is related to projectile motion and I'm therefor pretty sure I'm supposed to solve it with the projectile motion equations.
In other words x = Vx(initial)*t because there is no acceleration in the x-axis direction and y = Vy(initial)t - 1/2gt^2
This is by the way a question i got at university but I'm posting it here because the physics seen rather basic, the problem is rather that in task b i need to determine two variabels and I'm not given the distance. My point is that if calculus or som other more advanced methods like advanced algebra could be used to solve this then that should not be a problem for me.
g = gravity = 9.8 m/s^2
d is the distance between 0 and the last pig
θ = is the angle the projectile was shot out with

The Attempt at a Solution

In task a I found an expression for t in x-direction by using the x = Vxt (and setting x to d) and got t = d/Vx
I put this expression for t into the equation in y-dirextion: y = Vyt - 1/2gt^2. By setting y to -h because i think like the projectile is shot from h which is 0 and land on the ground, -h. Also I've used that Vx = Vcosθ an Vy = Vsinθ
I solved this equation for V and as result I got:
V = sqrt((g*d^2)/(2*cos^2(θ)(h+d*tanθ)))
This is the answer I think is correct in task a and I think I might have to use it to solve b but I am not sure.
The b task is difficult because I need to find both θ and the innitial speed in order to hit both pigs an by my logic there is an endles different possible answers to that.
I've been trying to find equations for t or v but I have no idea how to make sure it hits both targets and write an equation on that so if anyone think they can solve it or help me by giving me som hints or pointers to where i should start at least that would be most appreciated. Also sorry for my bad english but I hope you understand

Physics news on Phys.org
Your result for part (a) looks good to me.

For part (b), try deriving a similar relation between V and θ for hitting the bird on the pole. Then you will have two equations for the two unknowns V and θ.

TSny said:
Your result for part (a) looks good to me.

For part (b), try deriving a similar relation between V and θ for hitting the bird on the pole. Then you will have two equations for the two unknowns V and θ.

I tried to do the same thing as in a but replacing d with l instead and setting h to 0 because the projectile is shot and is landing in the same height so therefor I put it to 0
Got this equation: 0=l*tanθ - g/2*(l^2)/(v^2cos^2(θ)). Should I also solve this equation for v you think or how should I find v and θ? θ seems especially difficult to me because there's both tanθ and cos^2(θ)

Makonia said:
Got this equation: 0=l*tanθ - g/2*(l^2)/(v^2cos^2(θ))
Looks good. You might try rearranging this to get g/2*(l^2)/(v^2cos^2(θ)) on one side.
Similarly, from your relation in part (a), solve for g/2*(d^2)/(v^2cos^2(θ)) .

See what happens if you then divide the two equations.

TSny said:
Looks good. You might try rearranging this to get g/2*(l^2)/(v^2cos^2(θ)) on one side.
Similarly, from your relation in part (a), solve for g/2*(d^2)/(v^2cos^2(θ)) .

See what happens if you then divide the two equations.
585405a5f0a69e44cecc9b549d150f03.png

d58fa6f89188170060985d6dd6b65e4b.png

This is the two equations I then get. I've never devided two equations on each other so not quite sure how to do it but depending on whitch of them i divide on the other I will either get l/d + h or d/l + h on the right side. The left I don't know, it seems to me I get l^2/d^2 or the other way around. Was this what you ment by divide the two equations?

You can put tanθ/l=tanθ/d+h/d^2 and solve for θ

Last edited:
Makonia said:
585405a5f0a69e44cecc9b549d150f03.png

d58fa6f89188170060985d6dd6b65e4b.png

This is the two equations I then get. I've never devided two equations on each other so not quite sure how to do it but depending on whitch of them i divide on the other I will either get l/d + h or d/l + h on the right side. The left I don't know, it seems to me I get l^2/d^2 or the other way around. Was this what you ment by divide the two equations?
Yes. Or you can divide the top equation by ##l^2## and the bottom equation by ##d^2##. Then the left hand sides are equal.

Is the answer θ=tan^-1(-hl/ld-d^2) ?

tom ryen said:
Is the answer θ=tan^-1(-hl/ld-d^2) ?
EDIT: Well, I don't want to say if this is the correct answer because Makonia has not yet posted an answer.

EDIT 2: Now that Makonia has given her answer, I can comment that I think your answer is correct. By the way, welcome to PF!

Last edited:
I got the same thing. But not sure if it is correct, nor the best answer.

TSny said:
EDIT: Well, I don't want to say if this is the correct answer because Makonia has not yet posted an answer.
I got θ=tan^-1(lh/d(d-l)) so I think it's correct

Makonia said:
I got θ=tan^-1(lh/d(d-l)) so I think it's correct
OK. Great. I think that's the answer, too.

TSny said:
Yes. Or you can divide the top equation by ##l^2## and the bottom equation by ##d^2##. Then the left hand sides are equal.
Yes, but then the right sides will be: tan(θ) / l) i the first eq. and in the second: (tan(θ) + h ) / d, and when you put these two equal to one another the tan will go away?
So how did you then get θ=tan^-1(lh/d(d-l)) ?

hefalomp said:
Yes, but then the right sides will be: tan(θ) / l) i the first eq. and in the second: (tan(θ) + h ) / d, and when you put these two equal to one another the tan will go away?
So how did you then get θ=tan^-1(lh/d(d-l)) ?
The tan will not go away due to the fact that tan on one side is divided by l and tan on the other side is divided by d.

Hi I'm only getting tan^-1( lh/d(1-l ), i don't understand how you guys find "d^2'" in the nominator, please help...

Last edited:
klippen88 said:
Hi I'm only getting tan^-1( lh/d-dl ), i don't understand how you guys find two "d's" in the nominator, please help...
Welcome to PF!

I believe you are saying that your denominator is d - dl. But note that it doesn't make sense to subtract these two terms. d had the dimensions of length while dl has the dimensions of length squared. If you show us your individual steps, we can track down your source of error.

As a sort of nit-picky point, parentheses should be used around the denominator as so: tan^-1( lh/(d-dl )). Otherwise, it would be interpreted as dividing lh by just d rather than (d - dl). Also, there are formatting icons for superscripts, so you can write it as tan-1[ lh/(d-dl )].

jensjensen said:
I got the same thing. But not sure if it is correct, nor the best answer.
Welcome to PF! It's good to see that we are all getting the same result.

TSny said:
I believe you are saying that your denominator is d - dl. But note that it doesn't make sense to subtract these two terms. d had the dimensions of length while dl has the dimensions of length squared. If you show us your individual steps, we can track down your source of error.

As a sort of nit-picky point, parentheses should be used around the denominator as so: tan^-1( lh/(d-dl )). Otherwise, it would be interpreted as dividing lh by just d rather than (d - dl). Also, there are formatting icons for superscripts, so you can write it as tan-1[ lh/(d-dl )].
I'm sorry I wrote my answer in the stress and chaos of all this. My answer is of course tan^-1( lh/d(1-l )) (NOT "d-dl" in denominator). This will be length vs. length, so the dimensions adds up. But if i put in imaginary numbers for l, h & d. I'm getting a negativ angel, so my calculation must be wrong.
I'll show you how I have done it:
tanΘ/l = tanΘ+h/d
I multiply with l
and move l*tanΘ to the other side.
tanΘ-l*tanΘ=lh/d
tanΘ(1-l)=lh/d
Tan^-1(lh/d(1-l))

klippen88 said:
I'm sorry I wrote down my answer wrong in the stress and chaos of all this. My answer is of course tan^-1( lh/d(1-l )) (NOT "d-dl" in denominator). This will be length vs. length, so the dimensions adds up. But if i put in imaginary numbers for l, h & d. I'm getting a negativ angel, so my calculation must be wrong.
I'll show you have I have done it:
tanΘ/l = tanΘ+h/d
I multiply with l
tanΘ-l*tanΘ=lh/d
tanΘ(1-l)=lh/d
Tan^-1(lh/d(1-l))

You have tanΘ/l = tanΘ/d+h/d^2
Then you end up with tan^-1(lh/d(d-l))=Θ

jensjensen said:
You have tanΘ/l = tanΘ/d+h/d^2
Then you end up with tan^-1(lh/d(d-l))=Θ
oooh that's why, thnx man :-D

klippen88 said:
I'm sorry I wrote my answer in the stress and chaos of all this. My answer is of course tan^-1( lh/d(1-l )) (NOT "d-dl" in denominator). This will be length vs. length, so the dimensions adds up. But if i put in imaginary numbers for l, h & d. I'm getting a negativ angel, so my calculation must be wrong.
I'll show you how I have done it:
tanΘ/l = tanΘ+h/d
I multiply with l
tanΘ-l*tanΘ=lh/d
tanΘ(1-l)=lh/d
Tan^-1(lh/d(1-l))
I have done the same as you is this the right answear? or should it be tan^-1(lh/d(d-l))=Θ, if so what did you change?

you have tan(θ)/l=tanθ/d+h/d^2
Which is the same as tanθ(1/l-1/d)=h/d^2
You can write that as tanθ=hl/(d(d-l)) ->θ=tan^-1(hl/(d(d-l)))

jensjensen said:
you have tan(θ)/l=tanθ/d+h/d^2
Which is the same as tanθ(1/l-1/d)=h/d^2
You can write that as tanθ=hl/(d(d-l)) ->θ=tan^-1(hl/(d(d-l)))

I got tan(θ)/l=(tanθ+h)/d and not tan(θ)/l=tanθ/d+h/d^2, how did you get tan(θ)/d+h/d^2

Hi, I have got the same equation for the angle, but I am not sure how to find the equation for V. help please.

1. What are the two variables in projectile motion?

The two variables in projectile motion are velocity and angle. Velocity refers to the speed and direction at which the object is launched, while angle refers to the direction of the initial launch relative to the horizontal plane.

2. How do you find the initial velocity in projectile motion?

The initial velocity in projectile motion can be found using the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity. The horizontal component is calculated using the formula Vx = Vcosθ, where V is the initial velocity and θ is the launch angle. The vertical component is calculated using the formula Vy = Vsinθ. The initial velocity can then be found using the Pythagorean theorem, V = √(Vx^2 + Vy^2).

3. How do you find the angle in projectile motion?

The angle in projectile motion can be found using the vertical and horizontal displacements of the object. The angle can be calculated using the formula tanθ = Vy/Vx, where Vy is the vertical displacement and Vx is the horizontal displacement. The angle can then be found using inverse tangent, θ = tan^-1(Vy/Vx).

4. What is the formula for calculating the range in projectile motion?

The formula for calculating the range in projectile motion is R = V^2sin2θ/g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the initial and final heights are equal and there is no air resistance.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can have a significant effect on projectile motion, as it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This means that it can decrease the object's velocity and change its trajectory. To account for air resistance, more complex mathematical models and equations are needed to accurately predict the motion of the object.