Catch-up problem, can't seem to get it

• Thread starter ArmavirMig
  • Start date
In summary: The dog/cowgirl meet at a point where x = x_d + S_s. In summary, at time t=1.29, the dog will have caught up to the cowgirl.
ArmavirMig

Homework Statement

I have a herd of sheep moving at 7 m/s. My dog is at rest 5m in front of the sheep and then accelerates at a rate of 3 m/s^2. how long does it take in seconds for the bulls to catch up to the cowgirl?

Homework Equations

I have a feeling that t=square root of 2s/a is relevant. But I also think that they have to be equal to each other since they meet at some point. So the V_s is 7m/s and the S_d is 5m+S_s. I know the dog's accerlation is 3m/s^2 but I don't have time here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about calculating the dog's time as t=square root of 2s/a with s being 5. that gave me 1.8 seconds which i assume means 1.8 seconds ahead of the sheep but the sheep are going 7 m/s so that means that in 1.29 seconds they will catch up with the dog? Thanks for any clarification from the prospective helpers.

Physics news on Phys.org
ArmavirMig said:
I have a herd of sheep moving at 7 m/s. My dog is at rest 5m in front of the sheep and then accelerates at a rate of 3 m/s^2. how long does it take in seconds for the bulls to catch up to the cowgirl?
I assume that the problem is how long does it take for the sheep to catch up to the dog?

Measure position from the sheep's starting point. What's the sheep's position as a function of time? What's the dog's position as a function of time? Set those equal to solve for when they meet.

Ha, yes I wanted to replace the agents in question.

I don't have a position to start with the bulls, they are just moving, and the cowgirl is just whatever the bulls position is +5m. Should i be looking for position first and then time? I am at quite a loss.

ArmavirMig said:
I don't have a position to start with the bulls, they are just moving, and the cowgirl is just whatever the bulls position is +5m. Should i be looking for position first and then time? I am at quite a loss.
Assume the sheep/bulls start at x = 0. What's their position as a function of time? It's constant speed motion.

Given the above, the dog/cowgirl starts at x = 5. What's her position as a function of time? It's accelerated motion.

1. Why do I struggle with catching up on tasks or work?

The inability to catch up on tasks or work can be caused by a variety of factors, such as poor time management skills, overwhelming workload, or difficulty prioritizing tasks. It is important to identify the root cause of the problem in order to effectively address it.

2. How can I improve my time management to catch up on tasks?

Improving time management skills can help with catching up on tasks. This can be achieved by creating a schedule or to-do list, setting realistic deadlines, and breaking down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable ones. It is also important to eliminate distractions and prioritize tasks based on urgency and importance.

3. What can I do if my workload is too overwhelming to catch up on?

If your workload is overwhelming, it may be helpful to delegate tasks to others or ask for assistance. It is also important to communicate with your supervisor or team to discuss workload distribution and prioritize tasks. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing self-care can help with managing stress and increasing productivity.

4. How can I motivate myself to catch up on tasks?

Motivation can be difficult to maintain when faced with a large backlog of tasks. One way to stay motivated is to set achievable goals and reward yourself for completing them. It may also be helpful to break up tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks and track your progress. Additionally, reminding yourself of the consequences of not catching up on tasks can serve as motivation.

5. What can I do if I am constantly falling behind and can't seem to catch up?

If you find yourself constantly falling behind and unable to catch up, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or coach who can provide personalized tips and strategies. It may also be beneficial to reflect on your work habits and identify areas for improvement. Seeking support from colleagues or taking a training course on time management and productivity can also be helpful.