Cauchy-Goursat Theorem question

• Thread starter mathsciguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation is about the Cauchy-Goursat theorem and one step in its proof that involves the use of Green's theorem. The speaker is questioning the necessity of the condition that f' be continuous, since f being analytic in R already requires u and v to be continuous and meet the conditions for differentiability. However, they realize that they have confused this with the sufficient condition for differentiability, and are seeking clarification from someone knowledgeable on the topic.
mathsciguy
I was reading about Cauchy-Goursat theorem and one step in the proof stumped me. It's the easier one, that is, Cauchy's proof that requires the complex valued function f be analytic in R, and f' to be continuous throughout the region R interior to and on some simple closed contour C. So that the contour integral around C is equal to zero.

Also let f(z) = u(x,y) + i v(x,y).

The proof used the hypothesis of Green's theorem which required the two real functions u and v and their first order partial derivatives on R to be continuous. I was thinking that if f is already analytic in R, wouldn't that already require u and v to be continuous in R and its first order partial derivatives? Since the condition for the differentiability of f requires it to be so? Doesn't that mean that the assumption that f' be continuous unnecessary?

Edit: Oops, ok, I think I got it. I have confused myself with the theorem for 'sufficient condition for differentiability', which says that u and have to be continuous (and they have to obey the Cauchy-Riemann equations) in R. If such conditions are met by f, it implies its differentiability, but is the converse true?

I might have skipped a lot of stuff about the theorem and the proof so my question might be confusing, but hopefully someone well acquainted with the topic would step in and help.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is my question too cluttered and messy? I'll revise my question if it is. Because I'd really appreciate it if someone could give their insight on this.

1. What is the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem?

The Cauchy-Goursat Theorem, also known as the Cauchy Integral Theorem, is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that states that if a function is analytic in a simply connected region, then the integral of that function along any closed curve in that region is equal to zero.

2. What is the importance of the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem in mathematics?

The Cauchy-Goursat Theorem is important because it allows us to calculate integrals of complex functions without having to resort to complicated methods. It also has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

3. How is the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem related to Cauchy's Integral Formula?

The Cauchy-Goursat Theorem is a generalization of Cauchy's Integral Formula. Cauchy's Integral Formula states that if a function is analytic in a simply connected region, then the value of the function at any point in that region is equal to the average value of the function along any closed curve passing through that point. The Cauchy-Goursat Theorem extends this to say that the integral of the function along any closed curve is equal to zero.

4. Can the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem be applied to a non-simply connected region?

No, the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem only applies to simply connected regions. A simply connected region is one where any closed curve can be continuously deformed into a point without leaving the region. If a region is not simply connected, the theorem cannot be applied.

5. Are there any limitations to the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem?

Yes, the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem only applies to functions that are analytic in the region of interest. This means that the function must have a derivative at every point in the region. If a function has singularities or discontinuities in the region, the theorem cannot be applied. Additionally, the region must be simply connected, as mentioned in the previous question.