Causality of the wave equation

In summary: So in the solution, we don't necessarily have to explicitly deal with this fact, because the equation takes into account the self propagation of the wave.
Coffee_
Consider the wave equation ##\nabla^{2} f - \frac{1}{c^{2}} \frac{\partial ^{2} f}{\partial t^{2}} = \delta(r) \delta(t) ## where there is no wave before ##t=0##

The solution will be something up to a constants like ##f=\frac{\delta(r-ct)}{r}##.

So we have a dirac delta function that spreads out as a circular wave.

Let's now consider a time ##t=t'>0## and an ##r=r'## where we find such a peak. If I now use the same reasoning as in the beginning on this peak, I find that this peak also should make these circular waves in space. This is Huygens prinicple it seems to me.

Is it correct to say that yes, this indeed does happen. Any position at any time where we find such a peak will act as a source for new circular peak-waves again. They just happen to cancel out in the backwards direction and so we find the forward moving evoltuion.

QUESTION:

1) Are there any fatal flaws in my reasoning above?

2) If not so much, then how does it come that we do find the evolution by solving the differential equation without having to consider these ''new'' sources. Where in the solution is this implicitly hidden? Where is it hidden that the backwards new sources all cance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Huygens principle is a trick, talks about frontwaves. Frontwaves are something like a surface on which the wave have the same phase, and ignore backwaves which position been closer to source. I think that assumed an infinity wave with well known ω and k than can represented by the solution for wave equation for 2D in this case:
$$ y(r,\theta,t) = \frac{A}{r}\sin(\omega{t}-\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r}) $$
But in this case we have a wave pulse on the form:
$$ y(r,\theta,t)=\frac{A}{r}\delta(r-ct) $$
I believe this is a much different function.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huygens–Fresnel_principle

Last edited:
I think I shouldn't have mentioned Huygens at all. My question could be summed up as:

When solving the wave equation analytically given certain initial and boundary condition we find a unique solution for how the oscillations will evolve in time and space. At a time ##t>0## so after the oscillations started evolving we pick a random point where ##y## is not ##0##. Will this excitation act as another source that will disperse according to the wave equation? If yes, why don't we have to even think about this when solving the wave equation analytically? Somewhere in the solution we must have implicitly dealt with this fact.

Coffee_ said:
I think I shouldn't have mentioned Huygens at all. My question could be summed up as:

When solving the wave equation analytically given certain initial and boundary condition we find a unique solution for how the oscillations will evolve in time and space. At a time ##t>0## so after the oscillations started evolving we pick a random point where ##y## is not ##0##. Will this excitation act as another source that will disperse according to the wave equation? If yes, why don't we have to even think about this when solving the wave equation analytically? Somewhere in the solution we must have implicitly dealt with this fact.

Well i believe the answer is that this excitation acts "partially" as another source. It is not exactly the same as having a source at that point because the source injects energy into the medium, while a simple excitation of the medium just allows the energy to pass from the previous points of the medium to the next points, it serves as the mechanism of the self propagation of the wave.

1. What is the wave equation and what does it represent?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves in a given medium. It represents the relationship between the displacement of a wave and its rate of change over time.

2. How is causality addressed in the wave equation?

Causality is addressed in the wave equation through the use of initial conditions. These conditions dictate the starting point of the wave and its behavior at that point, ensuring that the wave only propagates in one direction.

3. Can the wave equation be used to model all types of waves?

No, the wave equation is only applicable to linear, homogeneous waves. It cannot accurately model nonlinear or dispersive waves.

4. How does the wave equation relate to real-world phenomena?

The wave equation has many practical applications, such as in the fields of physics, engineering, and acoustics. It is used to model and understand various natural phenomena, including sound waves, water waves, and electromagnetic waves.

5. What are some limitations of the wave equation?

One limitation of the wave equation is that it assumes a constant speed of propagation, which may not hold true in all situations. It also does not account for factors such as damping or energy loss, which can affect the behavior of waves in real-world scenarios.