Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CE Graduate School - Advice Needed

1. Sep 30, 2011 #1
    A little background first. I'm a Senior at a small state university and will graduate in May with a BS in CS. Last Spring I finally decided that I really do want to further my education and continue on to graduate school. I'd love to attend Texas A&M for a Master of engineering in CE, but I feel like my "stats" are really poor and worried I'm just wasting my time... I know TAMU is not a top 10 or even 20 CE school so maybe that will help me...

I want to apply for the Fall 2012 semester.

-Overall GPA: 3.4
    -CS GPA: 3.6
    -Research: None (Some to be completed this semester and a final project next semester (too late for application process)
    -Work experience: nothing related to CS/CE/Research

-Only failed classes: Calc I (as soph) and Calc II (as Junior). Retook both and made B's.
    This was before I got serious with school... gpa near 2.5 at the time.

-GRE: Really good test taker and feel I can do really well, especially in the Q section.
    -Epsilon Pi Upsilon
    -Moderate to good LOR's from professors who earned PhD's from TAMU in the 70's and 80's

So, I'm pretty bummed about my application statistics. Nothing stands out. Should I just hope to blow them away with my letter of intent and show a strong will to do research? Or should I apply to the non-thesis degree that (supposedly) is less competitive?

Or... wait a year and apply after I have next semester research under my belt.

Thanks for any input.

EDIT: Thought I had more than one post on this forum. I guess I do more lurking than I thought.

EDIT 2: For those puzzled over failing calc I, I thought I was good enough in math to take it online without a professor. Ha!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    Ok, maybe if I simplify my question:

Should I apply this semester (given eval above) or wait a year so that I can further raise my GPA (maybe .1 on each), add research, and maybe some work experience.

How does applying twice work? In the event I applied this semester, was denied and tried again in a year? Sorry for the defeatist attitude, I'm just trying to be realistic with myself.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook