Cell Potential with Nernst Equation

In summary, the conversation involved a discussion of the Nernst Equation and its application to a specific problem. The value of E° was calculated and a balanced equation was determined. The values of Q were then calculated and plugged into the equation, resulting in an incorrect answer. The speaker is seeking help in identifying the error.
davev

Homework Statement

PjU9hR8.png

Homework Equations

Nernst Equation where Q = [product]/[reactants], R = 8.314, F = 96500
nernst.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I got E° to be 0.012 V because E° of cathode - E° of anode. -0.131 - (-0.143) = 0.012.

The balanced equation I got was: Pb2+ + Sn → Pb + Sn2+

For the values of Q, I added 0.349 M to the concentration of Sn2+ as it's the product, and I subtracted 0.349 M from the concentration of Pb2+ as it's the reactant.

Plugging everything into the equation:
E = 0.012 V - ((8.314 * 271)/(2 * 96500)) * ln(1.318/0.576) = 0.0023 V. This answer is wrong, but I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong here. Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't find anything wrong.

Not that I am infallible, but there are two of us stumped now.

The answer I put in is what the system shows as the correct answer now that the homework has closed. I don't understand why it was marked incorrect, but I'll just have to email my professor.

1. What is cell potential?

Cell potential is the measure of the electrical potential difference between two electrodes in an electrochemical cell. It is a measure of the ability of a cell to produce electricity.

2. What is the Nernst equation?

The Nernst equation is an equation that relates the cell potential of an electrochemical cell to the concentrations of the reactants and products involved in the cell's redox reaction. It can be used to calculate the cell potential at any given concentration of reactants and products.

3. How is the Nernst equation used in electrochemistry?

The Nernst equation is used to calculate the cell potential of an electrochemical cell at non-standard conditions, such as when the concentrations of reactants and products are not at standard state. It helps to determine the direction and extent of a redox reaction in a cell.

4. What are the factors that affect cell potential?

The factors that affect cell potential include the concentration of reactants and products, the temperature, the types of electrodes used, and the types of electrolytes in the cell. Changes in any of these factors can alter the cell potential and affect the overall performance of the cell.

5. How does the Nernst equation account for temperature changes?

The Nernst equation includes a temperature-dependent term, R*T/nF, which accounts for the effect of temperature on cell potential. As temperature increases, the value of this term also increases, resulting in a decrease in cell potential. This is known as the temperature coefficient and is an important factor to consider in electrochemistry.