Cellulose from celery not digestible so it is stored in your body as cellulite?

• Thread starter wench381
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, there is a misconception that the indigestible cellulose from celery is stored as cellulite in the hips and buttocks. However, cellulite is a term used to describe the change in appearance of the skin, and is not related to cellulose. The cellulose from celery is simply expelled from the body. This is not a widely known fact due to the confusion between these two terms.
wench381
I heard that the indigestible cellulose from celery is stored in your body, especially hips/buttocks as cellulite? If so why is this not a widely known fact?

Biology news on Phys.org
wench381 said:
I heard that the indigestible cellulose from celery is stored in your body, especially hips/buttocks as cellulite? If so why is this not a widely known fact?
How could it get stored anywhere if it isn't digested?

I'm no expert but my understadning is that it is simply expelled.

"cellulite" and "cellulose" are completely different things. Cellulose is a polysaccharide, cellulite is a term given to how the skin changes in appearence due to the relationship between connective tissue and subcutaneous fatty deposits.

1. What is cellulose and why is it found in celery?

Cellulose is a type of carbohydrate found in plants, including celery. It is a structural component of plant cell walls and provides rigidity and strength to the plant.

2. Why is cellulose not digestible by humans?

Humans lack the enzyme necessary to break down the beta bonds in cellulose molecules, making it indigestible for us. This is why we cannot obtain nutrition from consuming cellulose.

3. How does cellulose from celery contribute to cellulite?

Cellulite is a type of body fat that appears as dimpled or lumpy skin, typically on the thighs and buttocks. When we consume cellulose from celery, our bodies are unable to break it down and it is stored in the form of fat, contributing to the appearance of cellulite.

4. Can consuming celery cause cellulite?

No, consuming celery in moderation will not directly cause cellulite. However, if you consume large amounts of celery or other foods high in cellulose and do not burn off the excess calories through exercise, it may contribute to the accumulation of body fat and increase the appearance of cellulite.

5. Is cellulite harmful to our health?

Cellulite is not harmful to our health, but it is a cosmetic concern for many individuals. It does not pose any medical risks, but some people may feel self-conscious about its appearance.