1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal force + uncertainty

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The centripetal force is given by F= (mv2) / r. If the mass is measured to be 2.8 +/- 0.1 kg, the velocity is 14 +/- 2 ms^-1, and the radius 8.0 +/- 0.2 m, find the force on the mass, including the uncertainty.

2. Relevant equations
    F= (mv2) / r

3. The attempt at a solution
    0.1/2.8 = .04
    2/14 = .14
    .2/8.0 = .025

add all up and i got .205

I did the equation and got 69 (2 sig figs) and finally got F = 69 +/- .21

Is that the proper uncertainty answer? If not please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2
  4. Sep 6, 2011 #3
    edit: nvm

final answer then: F = 270 +/- .21 ? (2 sig figs both)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  5. Sep 6, 2011 #4
    I did not say the force was wrong but you changed it; moreover, you still don't have the uncertainty right as I understand it.

I guess I'm not helping.

6. Sep 6, 2011 #5
    I'm sorry I kind of don't get it cause I'm really new to this stuff but my final answer without changing the force is:

F = 69 +/- 14

is that better? thanks

7. Sep 7, 2011 #6
    You were closer in your original post.

8. Sep 8, 2011 #7
    Why is no one helping with this? I'm about to give him the answer as I think it is--it's really not something I do day-to-day but IAW to site I posted previously.

We are surpassing Winston Chruchill adage here "The Americans and the British are a single people divided only by a common language."

9. Sep 8, 2011 #8
    Well he has to get the percentage uncertainties for each of the values.

So for example, for velocity it would 2/14*100 = 14.28% (quite a large uncertainty there)

Since it's squared, the uncertainty would be double: 28.57%

Do this for each of the variables, and add up the percentages. Then your final percentage of the calculated value for force should be your uncertainty in Newtons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook