Cesium Atom quantum mechanical description

In summary: We're currently solving the Bloch's equation numerically to simulate the responce of the gas to the magnetic field. But this isn't sufficient, and the damping profile of the gas isn't exactly exponential like the Bloch's equation predicts. It's somehow a complicated exponential with quadratic stuff... we don't know. So we'd like to find the equation that governs the transitions so that we could resume with this.In the picture attached, we used a right-circularly polarised light to induce the transition of the atoms to the upper states, and then we apply an RF field to get some resonance with the magnetisation of the system. The frequency, with which the system responces, is
TheDestroyer
Hello guys,

I need the quantum mechanical description of the Cesium atom/gas with its hyperfine states, and preferably with some density matrix.

I don't really know where to start my search. I googled a lot, and looked for articles and books, but failed.

Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you for any efforts.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK... let me rephrase the question...

Has anyone in the history of physics solved the Schrodinger equation of a Cesium Atom? Why can't I find anything about that?

Any references would help. Thanks!

There should be a lot of stuff available for Cs. Have you tried looking at review articles/books on Cs clocks?

I didn't find any particular thing available for the wave-function of the Cesium atom... that's why I'm surprised.

If you know any reference that would help, please let me know.

What do you mean by "the wave function"?
I doubt anyone ever solves the full SE for the Cs atom, that would be incredibly computationally intensive.

Well that's my question. What are the available methods for obtaining the wave-function of Cs?

I have a problem where I have a Cs gas in a chamber under a magnetic field and pumped by a laser beam. I need at least some wave function to put it in my density matrix to start doing this. But this information is NEVER available anywhere...

How can I solve such a problem? any idea?

TheDestroyer said:
Well that's my question. What are the available methods for obtaining the wave-function of Cs?

I have a problem where I have a Cs gas in a chamber under a magnetic field and pumped by a laser beam. I need at least some wave function to put it in my density matrix to start doing this. But this information is NEVER available anywhere...

The Cs atom contains too many eletrons to solve the Schrödinger equation in the same manner as one usually does for the Hydrogen atom to find the wavefunction. However, if you know that only a limited number of energy eigenstates are participating in the physical phenomenon under study, you can try to make an effective Hamiltonian for only those states.

TheDestroyer said:

The standard approach would be to enter something like "geometry={Cs}; mcscf; {mrci; ..}" into your favorite quantum chemistry program and ask it to make those wave functions (and matrix elements) for you.

Has anyone made such a Hamiltonian and solved it? I would like to see previous contributions to this field, so that I could start working. I found nothing so far, and that's why I'm asking for help!

Which transitions are you probing?
If it is any of the hyperfine transitions used for clocks you should -as pointed out above- be able to find a LOT of information.

I suspect part of the problem is that you are a bit too vauge, calculations like this are usually done with respect to some specific transition, and even then with numerical methods. You are not going to find a "full" description as for e.g. H or He.
Hence. look for papers relevant for what you are doing.

Thank you again for your replies.

We're doing a very specific research about Cesium magnetometers. The transitions I'm looking for are depicted in the attachment please take a look at it.

We're currently solving the Bloch's equation numerically to simulate the responce of the gas to the magnetic field. But this isn't sufficient, and the damping profile of the gas isn't exactly exponential like the Bloch's equation predicts. It's somehow a complicated exponential with quadratic stuff... we don't know. So we'd like to find the equation that governs the transitions so that we could resume with this.

In the picture attached, we used a right-circularly polarised light to induce the transition of the atoms to the upper states, and then we apply an RF field to get some resonance with the magnetisation of the system. The frequency, with which the system responces, is proportional to the magnetic field.

I couldn't find anything about those transitions. If you know any articles/books/references can you please point them out?

Attachments

• temp.png
    temp.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 406

1. What is a Cesium atom?

A Cesium atom is a neutral atom that contains 55 protons and 55 electrons. It belongs to the alkali metal group and has an atomic number of 55 on the periodic table.

2. What is the quantum mechanical description of a Cesium atom?

The quantum mechanical description of a Cesium atom is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. This includes the position, momentum, and energy of the electrons within the atom.

3. How is the electron configuration of a Cesium atom described in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the electron configuration of a Cesium atom is described using a mathematical model known as the Schrödinger equation. This equation predicts the probability of finding an electron in a specific energy level or orbital around the nucleus.

4. What is the significance of the quantum mechanical description of a Cesium atom?

The quantum mechanical description of a Cesium atom provides a deeper understanding of its properties and behavior. It helps explain phenomena such as electron transitions, chemical bonding, and the spectral lines observed in Cesium atoms. This information is crucial in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and quantum computing.

5. How does the quantum mechanical description of a Cesium atom differ from classical physics?

The quantum mechanical description of a Cesium atom differs from classical physics in that it takes into account the wave-like behavior of particles at the atomic level. In classical physics, particles are treated as distinct individual objects, whereas in quantum mechanics, they are described as waves with a probability of existing in a certain location. This leads to different predictions and explanations for the behavior of atoms.