1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Challenge 3a: What's in a polynomial?

1. Oct 10, 2013 #1

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In order to challenge a broader section of the forum, there is a part a and a part b to this challenge - if you feel that part b is an appropriate challenge, then I request you do not post a solution to part a as part a is a strictly easier question than part b.

The challenge: Prove that the function f(x) = 2x is not a polynomial on ℝ.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2013 #2
    Suppose [tex]g(x)=a_n x^n+\ldots a_0[/tex], with [tex]a_n\neq 0[/tex].
    Then [tex]\lim_{x->\infty}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=\infty*sign(a_n)[/tex] by applying l'Hospital rule n times, for any fixed n and [tex]a_n[/tex].

Hence f(x) cannot be a polynomial else this limit should be 1 by choosing the coeffecient.

4. Oct 12, 2013 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice solution jk22! Anybody have other ways of solving it?

5. Oct 12, 2013 #4
    Let P be a polynomial of degree n.

Define [itex] S_1=(a_{1,1},a_{1,2},...) [/itex] where [itex] a_{1,i}=P(i) [/itex]

Define [itex] S_2=(a_{2,1},a_{2,2,...}) [/itex] where [itex] a_{2,i}=a_{1,i+1}-a_{1,i} [/itex]

Define [itex] S_3=(a_{3,1},a_{3,2},...) [/itex] where [itex] a_{3,i}=a_{2,i+1}-a_{2,i} [/itex]

and so on until [itex] S_n [/itex]

I claim that for a polynomial of degree n, all elements of [itex] S_n [/itex] are the same.

This is true because if [itex] P(x)= \sum_{k=0}^n b_kx^k [/itex], then I can form a polynomial [itex] P_2(x)= P(x+1)-P(x)= \sum_{k=0}^n b_k((x+1)^k-x^k) [/itex], which is of degree n-1 and agrees with my elements of [itex] S_2 [/itex] ([itex] a_{2,i}=P_2(i) [/itex]). I can create a polynomial [itex] P_3 [/itex] of degree [itex] n-2 [/itex] which agrees with [itex] S_3 [/itex] by the same process, etc. until I get to [itex] P_n [/itex] which has degree zero and must be a constant.

It is obvious that this will fail for an exponential.

Defining my sets [itex] S_n [/itex] the same way as above

[itex] S_1=(2^i | i \in (1,2,3,...)) [/itex]

[itex] S_2=(2^{i+1}-2^i=2^i | i \in (1,2,3,...)) [/itex]

[itex] S_1=S_2=...[/itex] Done.

I apologize for my lack of creativity.

6. Oct 13, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

As we have two solutions now, I guess I can add one?

Suppose f(x)=2x can be written as polynomial function g(x) of degree n.
    Then g(x)g(-x)=2x 2-x = 1, but g(x)g(-x) has degree 2n. This gives n=0, so g(x) has to be constant -> contradiction.

7. Oct 13, 2013 #6
    Wow, I didn't realize there was such a simple solution. If I may add another [tex] \lim_{x \to -\infty} 2^x=0 [/tex], which can not be the case for any polynomial since for [itex] a_n \neq 0 [/itex] [tex] \lim_{x \to -\infty} \sum_{i=0}^n a_ix^i= \lim_{x \to -\infty}=x^n \sum_{i=0}^n \frac{a_i}{x^{n-i}}[/tex]. This product has to diverge (to negative or positive infinity depending on the sign of [itex] a_n [/itex] ) since I can make the sum arbitrarily close to a_i by taking x to be very negative.

8. Oct 13, 2013 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice solutions HS. mfb, that's fine I just didn't want people coming through and blowing through all the low hanging fruit here before the people it was designed for got a chance to answer. That answer of yours is ridulously elegant!

9. Oct 14, 2013 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Very nice!!

10. Oct 18, 2013 #9
    I guess I am a bit late, but whatever. I just saw this problem xD

The function [itex] 2^x [/itex] has n-th derivative [itex]\ln(2)^n*2^x[/itex].
    In particular, all of it's n-th derivatives are non zero for x = 0.

This is impossible for any polynomial, as the k+1 th derivative will be 0 everywhere whenever k is the degree of the polynomial (a finite number).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  11. Oct 24, 2013 #10

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Boorglar, you aren't late as long as the forum's still open and you have a new solution. Nice and simple, I like it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook