1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Challenge IV: Complex Square Roots, solved by jgens

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    This is a well-known result in complex analysis. But let's see what people come up with anyway:

Challenge:
    Prove that there is no continuous function ##f:\mathbb{C}\rightarrow \mathbb{C}## such that ##(f(x))^2 = x## for each ##x\in \mathbb{C}##.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Suppose such a function existed and consider the map g:S1→S1 given by restriction. Then the degree of g2 is a multiple of two but the degree of idS1 is one. This contradiction completes the proof.

4. Aug 6, 2013 #3
    Suppose a function [itex] f [/itex] did exist. For a complex number [itex] z=Re^{i\theta} [/itex], the only two square roots are [itex] \pm \sqrt{R}e^{\frac{i\theta}{2}} [/itex]. Call the function with the plus sign [itex] f_1 [/itex] and the function with the minus sign [itex] f_2 [/itex]

First let's show that a function that takes on the value [itex] f(z)=\sqrt{R}e^{\frac{i\theta}{2}} [/itex] for some z's and [itex] f(z)=-\sqrt{R}e^{\frac{i\theta}{2}} [/itex] for others is discontinuous.

For nonzero [itex] z_1=R_1e^{i\theta_1} [/itex] and [itex] z_2=R_2e^{i\theta_2} [/itex] assume that [itex] f(z_1)=\sqrt{R_1}e^{\frac{i\theta_1}{2}} [/itex] and [itex] f(z_2)=-\sqrt{R_2}e^{\frac{i\theta_2}{2}} [/itex].

Let [itex] \gamma:[0,1] \to ℂ [/itex] such that [itex] \gamma(0)=z_1 [/itex] and [itex] \gamma(1)=z_2 [/itex] be an injection and a parameterization of a path from [itex] z_1 [/itex] to [itex] z_2 [/itex] that does not pass through the origin . Let [itex] t' [/itex] be the infimum over all [itex] t \in [0,1] [/itex] such that [itex] f(\gamma(t))= f_2(\gamma(t)) [/itex]. It is easy to show that [itex] f [/itex] is discontinuous at [itex] \gamma(t') [/itex]

Now, we just have to deal with the case [itex] f=f_1 [/itex] or [itex] f=f_2 [/itex].

If [itex] f(z)=\sqrt{R}e^{\frac{i\theta}{2}} [/itex], where [itex] z=Re^{i\theta} [/itex], then we discover that f isn't really a function because [itex] Re^{i\theta}=Re^{i\theta+2\pi} [/itex] but [itex] f(Re^{i\theta+2\pi})=\sqrt{R}e^{\frac{i\theta}{2}+\pi} \neq \sqrt{R}e^{\frac{i\theta}{2}}=f(Re^{i\theta}) [/itex] The case for [itex] f_2 [/itex] is similar.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  5. Aug 6, 2013 #4
    OK, so that was definitely too easy for the smart crowd of people here :smile:

A big congratulations for jgens for his topological solution and for beating HS-Scientist in just a minute. But the latter did give a nice elementary solution. There are other solutions though, so if somebody finds them, please do post!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  6. Aug 6, 2013 #5
    what does a degree of a function g:S^1->S^1 mean?

7. Aug 6, 2013 #6
  8. Aug 6, 2013 #7
    Anyway, my choice of words would be this: We define an operation [itex]f\mapsto g[/itex] by setting

[tex]
    g:[0,2\pi[\to\mathbb{C},\quad g(\theta)=f(e^{i\theta})
    [/tex]

The property [itex]f^2=\textrm{id}[/itex] implies

[tex]
    g(\theta)=\epsilon(\theta)e^{i\theta/2}
    [/tex]

with some function [itex]\epsilon:[0,2\pi[\to \{-1,1\}[/itex].

If [itex]f[/itex] is continuous (as anti-thesis), [itex]g[/itex] must be continuous too, which implies [itex]\epsilon(\theta)[/itex] is a constant. Then we find that [itex]\lim_{z\to 1}f(z)[/itex] does not exist.

In other words, I would prefer forcing the discontinuity somewhere with the assumptions.

9. Aug 6, 2013 #8
    I might as well post my own solution. Fix ##z\neq 0##, consider the function

[tex]G(w) = \frac{f(z)f(w)}{f(zw)}[/tex]

This function is well defined on ##\mathbb{C}\setminus \{0\}##. By squaring, we see that

[tex]G(w) = \pm 1[/tex]

By continuity of ##G## and since ##\mathbb{C}\setminus \{0\}## is connected, we see that ##G## is constant, so we have

[tex]f(z)f(w) = f(zw)~\text{or}~f(z)f(w) = f(zw)[/tex]

By (if necessary) multiplying ##f## with ##-1##, we can assume that the first identity is satisfied. But then

[tex]f(1) = f(-1)f(-1) = (f(-1))^2 = -1[/tex]

but also

[tex]f(1) = f(1)f(1) = (f(1))^2 = 1[/tex]

Contradiction.

10. Aug 6, 2013 #9

jgens

Gold Member

Another solution: With a little voodoo we can actually show that f is holomorphic. This means that differentiating at zero tells us that 1 = 2f(0)f'(0) = 0 and then we are done.

11. Aug 6, 2013 #10
    I've done this proof before. I did it using the definition of continuity of complex functions by the continuity of their real and imaginary parts, id est, given ##x=a+bi## and ##f(x)=u(a,b)+iv(a,b)## for real numbers ##a## and ##b## and real valued functions ##u## and ##v##, ##f## is continuous at ##x_0=a_0+ib_0## if and only if $$\lim_{(a,b)\rightarrow(a_0,b_0)}[u+iv]=u(a_0,b_0)+iv(a_0,b_0)=f(x_0).$$ I can see if I can find my proof later if anyone is interested, but it essentially came down to a statement like "if ##u## is continuous, ##v## is not."

Suppose ##n=1##. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook