Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Help evaluating complex function in form m+ni?

1. Aug 16, 2016 #1
    Hey all, I need the complex version of the sigmoid function in standard form, that is to say $$f(\alpha) =\frac{1}{1+e^{-\alpha}} , \hspace{2mm}\alpha = a+bi , \hspace{2mm} \mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C}$$ in the simplified form: $$f = m+ni$$ but found this challenging, for some reason i assumed there was an identity for $$e^{e^{x} }, \hspace{2mm} x \in \mathbb{C}$$, so wasted my time with
    $$e^{-a-bi}= e^{e^{tan^{-1}\frac{b}{a}i + ln[\sqrt{ a^{2} + b^{2} }]}}$$ and tried from there, (just showing I did make an attempt, no matter how abysmal). Any help appreciated as I am not too familiar with complex numbers outside of the basics needed for transformation matrices.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No need to go that far.
    Try multiplying ##f(\alpha) =\frac{1}{1+e^{-\alpha}}## with ##\frac{1+e^{-\alpha^*}}{1+e^{-\alpha^*}}## and then use Euler formula.

4. Aug 16, 2016 #3
    Thanks :D ,Comes to $$ \frac{1}{2cos(b) e^{-a}}[1+e^{-\overline{\alpha}]}$$ right (before further simplification)?
    Then $$ =[ \frac{1}{2cos(b) e^{-a}} +\frac{1}{2}] + [\frac{1}{2} tan(b)]i $$ ? Or have I screwed up? (can't exactly substitute in numbers as easily in this case to test)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  5. Aug 16, 2016 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[itex]\frac{1}{1+e^{-\alpha}}=\frac{1}{1+e^{-a}(cosb-isinb)}=\frac{1+e^{-a}(cosb+isinb)}{(1+e^{-a}cosb)^2+(e^{-a}sinb)^2}=\frac{1+e^{-a}(cosb+isinb)}{1+2e^{-a}cosb+e^{-2a}}[/itex]

[itex]\alpha[/itex] and a look alike in itex.

6. Aug 16, 2016 #5
    Thanks mathman but since my previous answer is more computationally efficient (has to run vast iterations for the program) my previous answer correct?

7. Aug 16, 2016 #6
    Turns out this was a fruitless exercise since $$\frac{\partial u }{\partial x} \neq \frac{\partial v }{\partial y} $$ , so it doesn't conform with the Cauchy -Riemann equations D: (It needs to be differentiable)

8. Aug 17, 2016 #7

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you should check that again. 1/(1+e) is analytic in the complex plane except where (1+e) = 0.

9. Aug 17, 2016 #8
    well when I reworked it I got $$\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} $$ BUT $$\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} $$ when it should be equal to the negative does that mean its diffentiable, but only for certain regions? (havn't had to do complex differentiation before), also quick question , the Riemann - Cauchy equations essentially say $$\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = 0 $$ must be true for it do be differentiable, this confuses me, can someone elucidate on the intuition here?

10. Aug 17, 2016 #9

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think there must be a sign problem somewhere.
    The series of operations α => -α => e => 1 + e gives an entire function (analytic in the entire complex plane)
    Then 1/(1 + e) is analytic for α in ℂ except where it is a division by 0.
    This is not right. I'm not familiar with the Wirtinger derivatives (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtinger_derivatives), but apparently this should be the partial wrt z conjugate (see equation 3 of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy–Riemann_equations )

11. Aug 17, 2016 #10

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I doubt it. It is different from mine - unlikely to be correct. Check out the denominator.

12. Aug 28, 2016 #11

Svein

Science Advisor

No, you are wrong. An analytic function is characterized by [itex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial \bar{z}}=0[/itex] (you need to define [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial \bar{z}}[/itex] in a sensible manner, but that should not be too hard).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted