1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Help evaluating complex function in form m+ni?

1. Aug 16, 2016 #1
    Hey all, I need the complex version of the sigmoid function in standard form, that is to say $$f(\alpha) =\frac{1}{1+e^{-\alpha}} , \hspace{2mm}\alpha = a+bi , \hspace{2mm} \mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C}$$ in the simplified form: $$f = m+ni$$ but found this challenging, for some reason i assumed there was an identity for $$e^{e^{x} }, \hspace{2mm} x \in \mathbb{C}$$, so wasted my time with
    $$e^{-a-bi}= e^{e^{tan^{-1}\frac{b}{a}i + ln[\sqrt{ a^{2} + b^{2} }]}}$$ and tried from there, (just showing I did make an attempt, no matter how abysmal). Any help appreciated as I am not too familiar with complex numbers outside of the basics needed for transformation matrices.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No need to go that far.
    Try multiplying ##f(\alpha) =\frac{1}{1+e^{-\alpha}}## with ##\frac{1+e^{-\alpha^*}}{1+e^{-\alpha^*}}## and then use Euler formula.

4. Aug 16, 2016 #3
    Thanks :D ,Comes to $$ \frac{1}{2cos(b) e^{-a}}[1+e^{-\overline{\alpha}]}$$ right (before further simplification)?
    Then $$ =[ \frac{1}{2cos(b) e^{-a}} +\frac{1}{2}] + [\frac{1}{2} tan(b)]i $$ ? Or have I screwed up? (can't exactly substitute in numbers as easily in this case to test)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  5. Aug 16, 2016 #4

mathman

Science Advisor

[itex]\frac{1}{1+e^{-\alpha}}=\frac{1}{1+e^{-a}(cosb-isinb)}=\frac{1+e^{-a}(cosb+isinb)}{(1+e^{-a}cosb)^2+(e^{-a}sinb)^2}=\frac{1+e^{-a}(cosb+isinb)}{1+2e^{-a}cosb+e^{-2a}}[/itex]

[itex]\alpha[/itex] and a look alike in itex.

6. Aug 16, 2016 #5
    Thanks mathman but since my previous answer is more computationally efficient (has to run vast iterations for the program) my previous answer correct?

7. Aug 16, 2016 #6
    Turns out this was a fruitless exercise since $$\frac{\partial u }{\partial x} \neq \frac{\partial v }{\partial y} $$ , so it doesn't conform with the Cauchy -Riemann equations D: (It needs to be differentiable)

8. Aug 17, 2016 #7

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I think you should check that again. 1/(1+e) is analytic in the complex plane except where (1+e) = 0.

9. Aug 17, 2016 #8
    well when I reworked it I got $$\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} $$ BUT $$\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} $$ when it should be equal to the negative does that mean its diffentiable, but only for certain regions? (havn't had to do complex differentiation before), also quick question , the Riemann - Cauchy equations essentially say $$\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = 0 $$ must be true for it do be differentiable, this confuses me, can someone elucidate on the intuition here?

10. Aug 17, 2016 #9

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I think there must be a sign problem somewhere.
    The series of operations α => -α => e => 1 + e gives an entire function (analytic in the entire complex plane)
    Then 1/(1 + e) is analytic for α in ℂ except where it is a division by 0.
    This is not right. I'm not familiar with the Wirtinger derivatives (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtinger_derivatives), but apparently this should be the partial wrt z conjugate (see equation 3 of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy–Riemann_equations )

11. Aug 17, 2016 #10

mathman

Science Advisor

I doubt it. It is different from mine - unlikely to be correct. Check out the denominator.

12. Aug 28, 2016 #11

Svein

Science Advisor

No, you are wrong. An analytic function is characterized by [itex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial \bar{z}}=0[/itex] (you need to define [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial \bar{z}}[/itex] in a sensible manner, but that should not be too hard).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted