Chance me for graduate school please

In summary: I would recommend taking a look at the math department at your school to see if they offer any graduate level courses in mathematics. These courses may be helpful for top tier research universities. However, they are not necessary for all programs.
cytochrome
Chance me for graduate school please!

Stats:
Junior at a SMALL liberal arts school

Math/chemistry double major

4.0 GPA

2 years of research (thesis at home school) + 2 summers of REUs in biophysics at Princeton and the Czech Republic (hopefully 3 coming up) = lots of presentation and mathematical modeling experience
-Chemistry thesis - synthesis of a antimicrobial compound
-Mathematics thesis - existence and uniqueness of nonlinear relativistic wave equations and schrodinger equations

Track and field team - decathlete

Honors program - various community service projects

Resident director (RD)

Math 101 teacher

Calculus lab assistant

Chemistry lab assistant

Calculus tutor

Water quality analysis - full time job, lots of experience with statistics and ExcelCourses:
Math - Calc I-III
vector/tensory analysis
linear algebra
abstract algebra
ODE
PDE
probability theory
complex variables
Mathematica programming

Physics -
intro I&II
Classical mechanics
Quantum mechanics I & II
Physical chemistry I (thermo) & II (quantum)

Chemistry-
general chemistry I&II
organic chemistry I&II
inorganic chemistry
analytical chemistry
biochemistry

GRE - not taken yet! Assume an average score

I want to apply to chemical physics PhD programs to study quantum mechanics/chemistry or applied mathematics to study chaos theory and/or PDEs.

Would I have a shot at good research universities? I know I'm lacking in the physics courses, my school doesn't offer a physics major and I have to commute. I also haven't taken any grad level math courses, which I know is important (again, school does not offer them) :(
Is there hope for top tier research schools? I'm looking at Harvard chemical physics (dream) and University of Maryland chemical physics, as well as applied math at various schools.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What school do you go to (just curious??)

It's such a small school that no one I know who doesn't go there has ever heard about it. It's so small that I'm uncomfortable saying because it will show up on google or something and I'm definitely the only person at my school that wants to do a PhD program like that

Well, its seems like you have a very good application.

You have a shot at Harvard or MIT. But just a shot. There's literally nothing you can do to make your application better unless your mom or dad donates MIT 1 million dollars, so apply to all the good schools you can.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to not do an REU this summer and take some graduate level courses in topology, analysis, and mathematical physics at a university near home... Are these kinds of courses necessary for top programs in applied math?

1. What are the most important factors to consider when "chancing" me for graduate school?

The most important factors to consider when "chancing" someone for graduate school include their undergraduate grades, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, research experience, and personal statement. These factors give admissions committees a sense of the applicant's academic abilities, research potential, and fit for the program.

2. Is it better to have a high GPA or a high GRE score for graduate school admissions?

Both a high GPA and a high GRE score are important for graduate school admissions, but the weight of each may vary depending on the program and university. Generally, a high GPA shows consistency and dedication in academic performance, while a high GRE score demonstrates strong analytical and critical thinking skills. It is best to have a balance of both to increase your chances of admission.

3. Can I still get into a good graduate school if I have a low undergraduate GPA?

Having a low undergraduate GPA does not automatically disqualify you from getting into a good graduate school. Admissions committees also take into account other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. If you have a low GPA, it is important to excel in these other areas and explain any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your GPA in your application.

4. How important are letters of recommendation for graduate school admissions?

Letters of recommendation are a crucial component of the graduate school admissions process. They provide insight into an applicant's academic abilities, research potential, and personal qualities from the perspective of someone who has worked closely with them. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your strengths and potential as a graduate student.

5. Is it necessary to have research experience for graduate school admissions?

Having research experience is not always a requirement for graduate school admissions, but it can greatly strengthen your application. Research experience shows that you have practical experience in your field of study and have developed important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail. If you do not have research experience, it is important to highlight any relevant coursework or projects in your application.