Will transferring to UCLA, UCSD or CalPoly improve my chances for graduate school?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
turquoisetea
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I am a female sophomore physics major at San Francisco State, and I have applied as a transfer to four schools: UCLA, UCSD, UCB and CalPoly. I currently have a 3.97 GPA and plan to keep it that way. I think I have little chance of getting into UCB, but I have a slight hope for the others. I am also hoping to get accepted for a 10 week research opportunity this summer.

My question is: Will I have a better chance of getting into a top-tier (or ivy league) graduate school if I transfer or if I stay at San Francisco State? I'm basically asking whether graduate committees look at school and GPA or just GPA or just school...?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Correction: I don't mean 'Ivy league', I mean MIT, or CalTech or Berkeley.