Chandrasekhar's Transitivity Logic

• Thread starter robotopia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the individual is struggling to understand why the transitivity of thermal equilibrium is both sufficient and necessary for the condition of thermal equilibrium to have a specific mathematical form. They have provided a link to the relevant material and are seeking an explanation for this concept. They clarify that this is a purely mathematical question and provide a recast of the question in mathematical terms. However, someone doubts that the statement is true and provides a counterexample.
robotopia
I've just started reading Chandrasekhar's Introduction to the Study of Stellar Structure, and I'm having trouble following one of his mathematical assertions. Rather than quote the relevant parts in their entirety here, I've typeset them and linked them https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B22qV5-nFyVYSnVnQy1EYmlZQ00/edit. (For those interested, the entire book is available from the http://archive.org/details/AnIntroductionToTheStudyOfStellarStructure). I hope using an outside link isn't bad manners in forums.

What I don't understand, and would like someone to explain, is why the transitivity of thermal equilibrium is both sufficient and necessary (cf "this is then, and only then, possible...") for the condition of thermal equilibrium to have the form

t1(p1,V1) - t2(p2,V2) = 0

(same as Eq (4) in Chandrasekhar, but where I've used subscripts instead of bars). Clearly anything of that form implies transitivity, but I don't understand why transitivity implies that form. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
robotopia said:
What I don't understand, and would like someone to explain, is why the transitivity of thermal equilibrium is both sufficient and necessary

You'll probably get more help if you define "transitivity of thermal equilibrium" - or post in a physics section where the audience might be familiar with that phrase.

Stephen Tashi said:
You'll probably get more help if you define "transitivity of thermal equilibrium" - or post in a physics section where the audience might be familiar with that phrase.

Transitivity is a purely mathematical concept. I think physicists would be less likely to understand it than mathematicians. If ~ is some relation, then transitivity is the statement that if a~b and b~c, then a~c. "Transitivity of thermal equilibrium" just means that if some physical system A is in thermal equilibrium with system B, and B is in thermal equilibrium with C, then A is in thermal equilibrium with C. The fact that in this case the relation happens to have a physical interpretation doesn't make my question anything other than a purely mathematical one. Chandrasekhar himself gives the mathematical definition of thermal equilibrium in Eq (1) which I included in the link above.

Let me recast the statement of my question in purely mathematical terms.

Let [itex]S = \{(a,b)|a,b \in \mathbb{R}; a>0; b>0\}[/itex].

Define a function [itex]F:(S \times S) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex], and define a relation [itex]\sim[/itex] on [itex]S[/itex] such that two elements [itex]s_1,s_2 \in S[/itex] are related [itex]s_1 \sim s_2[/itex] iff [itex]F(s_1,s_2) = 0[/itex].
If [itex]\sim[/itex] is transitive (assume reflexive and symmetric only if necessary), show that [itex]F(s_1,s_2) = 0[/itex] can then and only then be expressed in the form
[tex]T_1(s_1) - T_2(s_2) = 0,[/tex]
where [itex]T_1,T_2:S \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] can be any arbitrary functions.

robotopia said:
show that [itex]F(s_1,s_2) = 0[/itex] can then and only then be expressed in the form
[tex]T_1(s_1) - T_2(s_2) = 0,[/tex]
where [itex]T_1,T_2:S \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] can be any arbitrary functions.

I doubt that's true. We can try [itex] a = 1/2, b = 7/2, f(x,y) = y((x-1)(x-2)(x-3))^2 + x((y-1)(y-2)(y-3))^2 [/itex], which has zeroes at (1,1)(1,2),(1,3),(2,1),(2,2),(2,3),(3,1),(3,2),(3,3).

The physics problem must make stronger assumptions - perhaps something about physical laws being invariant under a linear transformation of the quantity that measures [itex] s_1,s_2 [/itex].

1. What is Chandrasekhar's Transitivity Logic?

Chandrasekhar's Transitivity Logic is a logical system developed by Indian-American astrophysicist Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar. It is a formalism that allows for the mathematical representation of transitive relationships between different objects or entities.

2. How does Chandrasekhar's Transitivity Logic work?

Chandrasekhar's Transitivity Logic uses a set of axioms and rules to define transitive relationships between objects. These relationships are represented using mathematical symbols and equations, allowing for precise reasoning and deduction.

3. What is the significance of Chandrasekhar's Transitivity Logic?

Chandrasekhar's Transitivity Logic has been used in various fields, including physics, economics, and computer science, to study and model transitive relationships. It has also been applied in the study of social networks and decision making processes.

4. Can Chandrasekhar's Transitivity Logic be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, Chandrasekhar's Transitivity Logic can be applied to real-world situations where transitive relationships exist. It allows for a rigorous and systematic approach to understanding and analyzing these relationships, leading to insights and predictions.

5. Are there any limitations to Chandrasekhar's Transitivity Logic?

Like any logical system, Chandrasekhar's Transitivity Logic has its limitations. It may not be able to fully capture all complex transitive relationships, and its applicability may be limited in certain contexts. Additionally, the interpretation and use of the logic may vary among different fields and researchers.