Change in coffee taste under certain conditions - chemical explanation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Jchem
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
I'm just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction here.. or maybe I'm just crazy lol.

I'm a big coffee drinker. When I go out, I usually grab a coffee and walk around with it in hand. (mall's, convenience stores, book stores, subways and buses etc...) and as expected there is not a difference in the taste as i go from place to place.

BUT

There is this one restaurant that I have been going to for years (a sandwich place), and every time I walk into the place the taste of my coffee changes and tastes horrible. If I take a sip outside the door, my coffee tastes fine.. I take one step inside, and its horrible - i don't know how to explain it, but it has a strong chemical taste.

Its just very strange, that this only happens at this one place. There are no strong odors at this place, they just make sub sandwiches... and when I eat at this place the food tastes fine, and the soft drink tastes fine as well - so this is specifically with coffee (if its important, i don't have any sugar in my coffee - just milk)

ANy ideas on what might be causing this?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Taste and smell sense are strongly correlated, so I can imagine there is some smell at the place (not strong) that makes such an effect. Could even be it works just on you. But that's just my guess.
 
Could the shop be using Febreze or some other blocking/masking fragrance to lessen offensive odors? If my nose isn't working properly, nothing tastes right - especially coffee.
 
Last edited: