Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in coffee taste under certain conditions - chemical explanation?

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    I'm just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction here.. or maybe I'm just crazy lol.

I'm a big coffee drinker. When I go out, I usually grab a coffee and walk around with it in hand. (mall's, convenience stores, book stores, subways and buses etc...) and as expected there is not a difference in the taste as i go from place to place.

BUT

There is this one restaurant that I have been going to for years (a sandwich place), and every time I walk into the place the taste of my coffee changes and tastes horrible. If I take a sip outside the door, my coffee tastes fine.. I take one step inside, and its horrible - i dont know how to explain it, but it has a strong chemical taste.

Its just very strange, that this only happens at this one place. There are no strong odors at this place, they just make sub sandwiches... and when I eat at this place the food tastes fine, and the soft drink tastes fine as well - so this is specifically with coffee (if its important, i dont have any sugar in my coffee - just milk)

ANy ideas on what might be causing this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Taste and smell sense are strongly correlated, so I can imagine there is some smell at the place (not strong) that makes such an effect. Could even be it works just on you. But that's just my guess.

4. Oct 6, 2011 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Could the shop be using Febreze or some other blocking/masking fragrance to lessen offensive odors? If my nose isn't working properly, nothing tastes right - especially coffee.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook