1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in gravitational potential energy for a slender

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'll provide a picture for a clearer view: http://i.imgur.com/wkXPcJn.jpg

Suppose that the slender rod starts at rest at theta = 0. For convenience we chose the datum at theta = 0.
    Now I want to calculate the gravitational potential energy at a later instant when theta = theta_0. But it's tricky since some points of the rod have moved a distance (0.6+0.2)sin(theta_0) and some points have not moved at all. So how does one deal with this case? I have a solution but how should I do in the general case?

Just to be clear: I am looking for an analytical approach to it that does not involve some intuition because that can
    be dangerous...

3. The attempt at a solution

Think of the slender rod as a huge amounts of points uniformly spread. For each point at one side of the mass center there is a point on the other side of the mass center so that the distance between these are the distance from O to the mass center. Hence it should be mg(0.6+0.2)sin(theta_0)/2

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A slender what ?

The word slender is not a noun.

4. Apr 2, 2014 #3
    I am sorry. I thought slender and rod is the same thing. I mean a slender rod

5. Apr 2, 2014 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

mg((0.6+0.2)/2)sin(θ0) is a valid expression for the gravitational potential energy of the rod.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted