1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in the acceleration of Gravity given resistance

1. Apr 23, 2013 #1
    Hello,

This is the first time i have posted here and could really use some help, my class was given this question as enrichment after a free fall test and i would like to learn how to do it. i have checked my textbook but could not find any way to calculate the change in the acceleration of gravity given the resistance.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a 50kg block is submerged in an unknown substance,the block is then dropped 10m to the bottom of the substance. if the substance provides a resistance of 300 N, how long does it take the block to reach the bottom? (Gravity = 9.81m/s^2)

2. Relevant equations

This is what i need help with.

3. The attempt at a solution

I sketched out the quesiton, but like i said i could not find any equations for this type of question.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2013 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you familiar with free body diagrams showing the forces acting on the block, and newton's laws, and the kinematic motion equations? Please show an attempt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted