Change in velocity, average acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses Earth's orbit around the Sun and the calculations for its angular displacement, change in velocity, and average acceleration over a period of 2.7 days. The first question was successfully answered, but there are difficulties with the following two questions related to tangential velocity and centripetal acceleration.
salaam

Homework Statement

Earth's orbit around the SUn is nearly circular. THe period is 1 year = 365.25 days. In an elapsed time of 2.70 days, what is Earth's angular displacement? what is the change in Earth's velocity (perpendicular to the average velocity) What is the Earth's average acceleration during 2.7 days? (perpendicular to the average velocity)

Homework Equations

a =v/t
v = s/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already completed the first question and got 4.64×10-2 rad and it was right.

but the next two I'm having major problems with. and i am so confused. anyone help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You know how fast the Earth's tangential velocity is (or you can get it using the angular displacement and time).

How does the tangential velocity relate to the centripetal acceleration for uniform circular motion?

I'm really not sure.. can you elaborate?

What is the formula for calculating change in velocity?

The formula for change in velocity is Δv = vf - vi, where Δv is the change in velocity, vf is the final velocity, and vi is the initial velocity.

How is change in velocity related to average acceleration?

Change in velocity is directly proportional to average acceleration. This means that as the average acceleration increases, the change in velocity also increases, and vice versa.

What units are used to measure change in velocity?

Change in velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s) or other units of velocity, such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph).

Can change in velocity be negative?

Yes, change in velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is slowing down, or decelerating, in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

How is average acceleration calculated?

The formula for average acceleration is a = Δv/Δt, where a is the average acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time.