Relating acceleration to distance and time

In summary, the textbook procedure yields a result that is double that of your attempt because vˉ= vf/2 where vf = ∆v assuming constant acceleration.
golya
Homework Statement
Given distance = 402 metres and time = 5.5 seconds, I need to find acceleration.
Relevant Equations
vˉ= vf/2 = (at)/2
I’m an absolute beginner and I need someone to show me where I’m wrong.

Knowing the formula of acceleration ∆v (change in velocity) / ∆t (change in time) where ∆v = ∆x (distance) / ∆t, a common way of relating acceleration to distance is to say a (acceleration) = (distance/time)/time = distance/time^2.

Given distance = 402 metres and time = 5.5 seconds, I need to find acceleration.

Thus I proceeded by calculating a = 402/5.5^2 = 402/30.25 = 13,28 m/s^2. In the same manner I thought I could calculate velocity = 402/5.5 = 73.09 m/s.

However, my textbook reaches a different answer where I don’t understand the thought process.

My textbook proceeds with the formula

s (displacement) = vˉ (average speed) x t (time)

continuing with the formula

vf (final speed) = a x t

deriving

vˉ= vf/2 = (at)/2

Plugging into the above formula s= vˉt, we reach

s = [(at)/2]t = at^2/2

Only now it proceeds to deriving acceleration from displacement and time:

a = 2s/t^2 = 2x402 m / 5.5s^2 = 27 m/s^2

In short, my attempt was using ∆v while their procedure is using vˉ reaching exactly twice my answer because vˉ= vf/2 where vf = ∆v assuming constant acceleration.

But why do they use average velocity instead of change in velocity if a = distance/time^2?

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
golya said:
Homework Statement: Given distance = 402 metres and time = 5.5 seconds, I need to find acceleration.
Relevant Equations: vˉ= vf/2 = (at)/2

I’m an absolute beginner and I need someone to show me where I’m wrong.

Knowing the formula of acceleration ∆v (change in velocity) / ∆t (change in time) where ∆v = ∆x (distance) / ∆t, a common way of relating acceleration to distance is to say a (acceleration) = (distance/time)/time = distance/time^2.
This is not right. Average velocity is displacement/time. Velocity is the derivative of displacement with respect to time:$$v_{avg} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}$$$$v = \frac{dx}{dt}$$

PeroK said:
This is not right. Average velocity is displacement/time. Velocity is the derivative of displacement with respect to time:$$v_{avg} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}$$$$v = \frac{dx}{dt}$$
He is right because the acceleration is constant and the initial speed is 0

I think I understand what happened.

My first mistake: distance/time^2 is NOT actually a formula for acceleration but merely an illustration of why acceleration is measured in terms of m/s^2. Therefore the phrase refers merely to units of measurement and not to a formula.

My second mistake: the formula ∆x/∆t (distance/time) does not yield ∆v (change in speed) but vˉ (average speed). This second mistake was the result of the first one.

Therefore the textbook procedure makes sense.

Likes berkeman and PeroK
AlexJicu08 said:
He is right because the acceleration is constant and the initial speed is 0
You're wrong as well. Assuming constant acceleration from rest:$$\Delta x = \frac 1 2 a t^2$$$$a = \frac{2\Delta x}{t^2}$$

Likes MatinSAR and golya
PeroK said:
You're wrong as well. Assuming constant acceleration from rest:$$\Delta x = \frac 1 2 a t^2$$$$a = \frac{2\Delta x}{t^2}$$
Thank you!

Likes berkeman

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly the velocity of an object is changing.

How is acceleration related to distance and time?

Acceleration is directly related to distance and time through the equation a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time. This means that the greater the acceleration, the larger the change in velocity over a given time period, and therefore the greater the distance traveled.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a specific time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = Δv/Δt, while instantaneous acceleration can be found using the derivative of the velocity function with respect to time.

How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system or feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system. It can be measured using tools such as accelerometers or by analyzing the motion of an object using equations of motion.

What are some real-life examples of acceleration?

Acceleration is present in many everyday activities, such as driving a car, riding a roller coaster, or throwing a ball. It is also a key factor in sports, such as running, jumping, and swimming. In nature, animals also exhibit acceleration in their movements, such as a cheetah accelerating to catch its prey or a bird taking off from the ground.