Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of variable, second order differentiation

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    Okay, so my problem lies within taking the second derivative of a change of variable equation.

w = f(x,y); x = u + v, y = u - v

so far I have the first derivative:

dw/dx = (dw/dv)(dv/dx) + (dw/du)(du/dx) = (d/dv + d/du)w

Now I'm having problems in finding my second derivative:

d2w/dx2 = ?

I don't necessarily want the answer, but more of how to get to the answer. I figure if I get how to do it with dw/dx, dw/dy would follow suit.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

All your derivatives are partial derivatives, and your formula for dw/dx is completely wrong.

[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}[/tex] is just itself; you can't do much with it without knowing more about f(x, y). What I think you want is the partial of w with respect to u, and possibly the partial of w with respect to v. From these you can get the second partials.

Here's the formula for the chain rule in Leibniz notation for your problem:

[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}~=~\frac{\partial w}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial u}+ \frac{\partial w}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial u}[/tex]

This formula can be simplified, since
    [tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial u}~=~\frac{\partial x}{\partial v}~=~1[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial u}~=~1[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial v}~=~-1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}[/tex] is calculated in a similar manner as was used for the partial of w with respect to u, by replacing u everywhere it appears in the formula above with v.

4. Nov 6, 2009 #3
    First I would like to thank you very much, also I knew they were partials, but I'm a noob to this forum, and didn't know how to put down partials!

The way I started to set it up, was with how the book explained to do it, but your way would probably be my normal approach. I did manage to get the right answer thanks to your help!

:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook