Transforming ∂T/∂t with chain rule using ξ=x/s(t) and T=h(t)F(ξ,t)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
Candy309
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hi there

I am given xi=x/s(t) and T=h(t)F(xi,t) and I need to tranform deltaT/deltat. How do I do it? Do I use the chain rule? The answer to it is : s*(dh/dt)*F+s*h*(deltaF/deltat)-xi*(ds/dt)*h*(deltaF/deltaxi) but I don't know how to get this answer. Please help me. Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry it's [itex]\deltaT[/itex] /[itex]\deltat[/itex]
 
Hi It's the greek letter delta. I want to tranform (delta T)/(delta t)
 
I have to solve a heat equation but first I must change the variables.
 
I think pwsnafu is asking whether [itex]\frac{ \delta T}{\delta t}[/itex] means the derivative of T with respect to t.
 
Stephen Tashi said:
I think pwsnafu is asking whether [itex]\frac{ \delta T}{\delta t}[/itex] means the derivative of T with respect to t.

Yeah. I've never seen lower case delta used in that way before. Do you mean partial derivative?
 
Candy309 said:
Hi there

I am given xi=x/s(t) and T=h(t)F(xi,t) and I need to tranform deltaT/deltat. How do I do it? Do I use the chain rule? The answer to it is : s*(dh/dt)*F+s*h*(deltaF/deltat)-xi*(ds/dt)*h*(deltaF/deltaxi) but I don't know how to get this answer. Please help me. Thank you

How do you do the change of variable when xi=x-s(t)/1-s(t) and T=(1-s(t))*F(xi,t). I want to transform partial derivative of T with respect to t.
 
Candy309 said:
Hi there

I am given xi=x/s(t) and T=h(t)F(xi,t) and I need to tranform deltaT/deltat. How do I do it? Do I use the chain rule? The answer to it is : s*(dh/dt)*F+s*h*(deltaF/deltat)-xi*(ds/dt)*h*(deltaF/deltaxi) but I don't know how to get this answer. Please help me. Thank you

That's really messy . . . Candy. Looks like you have a chained list of variables:

[tex]\Xi(x,s)=\frac{x}{s}[/tex]

[tex]s=s(t)[/tex]

[tex]T(h,F)=h(t)F(\Xi,t)[/tex]

and you want to compute:

[tex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/tex]

so by the general chain-rule:

[tex]\frac{dT}{dt}=h(t)\frac{\partial}{\partial t} F(\Xi,t)+F\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex]

and:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} F(\Xi,t)=\frac{\partial F}{\partial \Xi}\frac{\partial \Xi}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial t}[/tex]

anyway, doing all that and simplifying, I still don't get exactly what you posted as the answer (close though) so maybe I'm missing something. Maybe though you can clean it up for me.