Change the "USER" button text (previously "MY PF") to gear symbol

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date

Proposal: Replace the text of "USER" button (previously "MY PF") with a gear icon.

• I support this proposal.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Keep the text as it currently is: "USER".

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Change it back to "MY PF".

• None of the above.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Recently, the "MY PF" button text was changed to "USER", as pointed out in this thread. I was thinking whether it would be more appropriate to change it to a gear icon:

gear-34-512.png

Universally, the gear icon symbolizes settings, and this is true across different OS and desktop or mobile environments. I don't think anybody would have any difficulty to understand that the icon displays a menu for account settings. As far as my knowledge goes, this symbol is readily available in most icon packs too.

Hovering over the "USER" button just shows the username. Instead, it should show something like "Account settings" or "Your account" which will make things more clear.

I took the liberty of creating a poll with this thread to collect user responses anonymously.

Answers and Replies

pbuk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Recently, the "MY PF" button text was changed to "USER", as pointed out in this thread. I was thinking whether it would be more appropriate to change it to a gear icon:

Universally, the gear icon symbolizes settings, and this is true across different OS and desktop or mobile environments. I don't think anybody would have any difficulty to understand that the icon displays a menu for account settings.
This is true, however the USER button displays/links to a menu with more than account settings e.g. a log out link, your news feed etc. so the use of a "settings" icon would be misleading.

An icon that could be used to replace it would be a "user" icon e.g.👤but USER is a pretty short word, I don't see the point.

Likes Wrichik Basu
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Difficult to figure how exactly to react, but I find very little if any trouble with the "USER" link,...
The word is shorter than USERname and is probably better than "PF".

Suggested for: Change the "USER" button text (previously "MY PF") to gear symbol

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post