1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Check 2 waave displacement equations please!

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    Got to calculate the superposition of a couple o' waves, wanted to double check if they are both the same frequency and wavenumber?x1(t) = 3 sin(2t + /4 ) and x2(t) = 3 cos(2t).

I take it 2 is the frequency? And since Kx is not inside the function how can I know whether the wave numbers the same? :S

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2
    These are not waves. The equations have to spatial variable. They may represent two harmonic oscillations with a phase difference of pi/4.
    2∏ is the angular frequency, ω=2∏f. The frequency is 1 Hz.

4. Mar 22, 2012 #3
    Ok thanks, when 2 harmonic oscillators superpose do you just take the sum of the two even though they have different phases?
    EDIT: Since one is in terms of sin and the other in cos, do i make sin(2pit+pi/4) into cos(2pit+pi/4+pi/2) or is that not valid, cuz i need to use the trig sum-product identity

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  5. Mar 22, 2012 #4
    Yes, you add the functions. You don't need a trig sum-product identity. Use the phase identity sin(x) = cos(x-pi/2)

6. Mar 22, 2012 #5
    Depends what you mean by the "take the sum".
    At any time, the total displacement is the sum of the two displacements (superposition principle):
    x(t)=x1(t)+x2(t)
    If you wish you can try to simplify or otherwise put the expression into a different form that shows something interesting.
    You cannot use the trig identity as the two have difefrent amplitudes.
    For the given case, you can write the result as a single cosine or sine,
    x(t)=Asin(2∏t+ψ).
    To find the values of A and ψ you can expand the sin and and identify the terms with the original components. You'll find two equations in the variables A and ψ.
    Phasor algebra is a more straightforward method, if you are familiar with it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook