1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Check for me this solution in General Physic

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I reckon that we only apply conservation of linear momentum for object which has total net force acting on equal zero but in this case , the gravity force still exist , total net force is mg
    Thank in advance

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2
    So i reckon the solution is wrong ? how do you think

4. Oct 1, 2010 #3
    No the solution is right.
    By impulse momentum theorem: Favg.ext Δt + mu = mv

Since the time span of the explosion and by inference your observation is very short and gravity forces are comparatively weak,the change in net momentum of the system is very very small and hence momentum is conserved in a meaningful way.You can dispute that but thinking that physics in real life is full of approximations(you are ignoring air drag,variation of g and atmospheric pressure with altitude etc. already), it should seem reasonable.However the same is not true when the external force is impulsive or the time span of observation is big enough.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook