Check my proof on showing two Bernoulli RV's are independent

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
Runty_Grunty
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I've got a pretty good answer to this one already, yet I'd like to see how solid it is. I'll list the question first in quotes.
Show that two Bernoulli random variables [tex]X[/tex] and [tex]Y[/tex] are independent if and only if [tex]P(X=1,Y=1)=P(X=1)P(Y=1)[/tex].

Here's my work below. I credit http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0909/0909.1685v4.pdf" for the answer.

[tex]X[/tex] and [tex]Y[/tex] are independent if and only if [tex]P(X=i,Y=j)=P(X=i)P(Y=j)[/tex] where [tex]i,j=0,1[/tex].
Two Bernoulli random variables are independent if and only if they are uncorrelated, and thus have a covariance of zero.
[tex]Corr(X,Y)=0\Leftrightarrow Cov(X,Y)=0[/tex]

Let [tex]p(x)[/tex] be the pmf of [tex]X[/tex], and let [tex]p(y)[/tex] be the pmf of [tex]Y[/tex].
If [tex]X[/tex] and [tex]Y[/tex] are independent then by definition
[tex]Cov(X,Y)=p(xy)-p(x)p(y)=P(X=i,Y=j)-P(X=i)P(Y=j)=0[/tex],
as [tex]P(X=i,Y=j)=P(X=i)P(Y=j)[/tex] for [tex]i,j=0,1[/tex].
If on the other hand we have that [tex]Cov(X,Y)=0[/tex], then
[tex]p(xy)-p(x)p(y)=0\Rightarrow p(xy)=p(x)p(y)[/tex].
Therefore, [tex]X[/tex] and [tex]Y[/tex] are independent.

This should properly answer the question, though I've been told by another source that summing up the marginal pmfs is also necessary to show independence. I don't know whether or not that's really necessary, though, and could use a second opinion.

Is there anything about my proof that could use improvement?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note:

[tex]\begin{align*}<br /> cov(X,Y) & = E(XY) - E(X)E(Y) \\<br /> &= \left(0 \cdot 0 \cdot p(0,0) + 0 \cdot 1 \cdot p(0,1) + 1 \cdot 0 \cdot p(1,0) + 1 \cdot 1 \cdot p(1,1)\right) - \left(0 p_x(0) + 1 p_x(1)\right) \left(0 \cdot p_y(0) + 1 \cdot p_y(1)\right) \\<br /> &= p(1,1) - p_x(1)p_y(1) \tag{A}<br /> \end{align*}[/tex]

I think this relates to the "summing" comment. Also, nothing in the above calculation is based on an assumption of independence or dependence. From (A) you can say:

If X, Y are independent, then ...

and then

If cov(X,Y) = 0 it must be true that ... so ...
 
statdad said:
Note:

[tex]\begin{align*}<br /> cov(X,Y) & = E(XY) - E(X)E(Y) \\<br /> &= \left(0 \cdot 0 \cdot p(0,0) + 0 \cdot 1 \cdot p(0,1) + 1 \cdot 0 \cdot p(1,0) + 1 \cdot 1 \cdot p(1,1)\right) - \left(0 p_x(0) + 1 p_x(1)\right) \left(0 \cdot p_y(0) + 1 \cdot p_y(1)\right) \\<br /> &= p(1,1) - p_x(1)p_y(1) \tag{A}<br /> \end{align*}[/tex]

I think this relates to the "summing" comment. Also, nothing in the above calculation is based on an assumption of independence or dependence. From (A) you can say:

If X, Y are independent, then ...

and then

If cov(X,Y) = 0 it must be true that ... so ...

Thanks, I was wondering what was meant by that "summing" part.