1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Check my working please? Expectation of momentum

1. Jun 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A state at time t is given by:

[tex]|\psi\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}\left[ e^{-\frac{i\omega t}{2}}|0\rangle + e^{-i\frac{3\omega t}{2}}|1\rangle \right] [/tex]

Where eigenfunctions are ##\phi_0 = \left(\frac{1}{a^2 \pi}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}}## and ##\phi_1 = \left(\frac{4}{a^6 \pi}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}} x \space e^{-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}}##.

I'm supposed to find ##\langle \psi|\hat p|\psi \rangle##.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\hat p = -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

By symmetry, we know that ##\langle 0|\hat p|0 \rangle = \langle 1 | \hat p | 1 \rangle = 0##.

Starting:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \langle 0 | e^{-i\omega t} \hat p |1\rangle [/tex]
    [tex] = -\frac{1}{2}i\hbar \left(\frac{4}{a^8 \pi^2}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{-i\omega t} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left(x e^{-\frac{x}{2a^2}}\right) dx[/tex]
    [tex]= -\frac{1}{2}i\hbar \left(\frac{4}{a^8 \pi^2}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{-i\omega t} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}}\left(e^{-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}} - \frac{x^2}{a^2} e^{-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}}\right) dx [/tex]
    [tex] = -\frac{1}{2}i\hbar \left(\frac{4}{a^8 \pi^2}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{-i\omega t} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{x^2}{a^2}} \left(1 - \frac{x^2}{a^2}\right) dx [/tex]
    [tex] = -\frac{1}{2}i\hbar \left(\frac{4}{a^8 \pi^2}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{-i\omega t} \left[ \sqrt \pi a - \frac{1}{a^2} \frac{1}{2} \sqrt {\pi} a^3 \right] [/tex]
    [tex] = -\frac{i\hbar}{2} \left(\frac{4}{a^8 \pi^2}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}} \left(\frac{1}{2} \sqrt \pi a \right) e^{-i\omega t} [/tex]
    [tex] = -\frac{i\hbar}{2\sqrt 2 a} e^{-i\omega t} [/tex]

Similarly, for ##\frac{1}{2}\langle 1 | e^{i\omega t} \hat p | 0 \rangle##, we take the complex conjugate of above.

Adding them both together, we get:

[tex]-\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt 2 a} sin (\omega t) [/tex]

Given ## \langle \psi |x|\psi\rangle = \frac{a}{\sqrt 2} cos (\omega t) ##, then I'm supposed to find:
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left( \langle \psi|p|\psi\rangle + m\omega^2 \langle \psi |x|\psi\rangle \right) [/tex]

They don't add up to zero, which is strange since the first term is simply the force, and the second term is the restoring force..

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2014 #2
    Surely this would be much easier if you just express [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]P[/itex] in terms of creation & annihilation operators?

4. Jun 9, 2014 #3
    They aren't given in the question at all, so I don't think we need to use them.

5. Jun 10, 2014 #4

strangerep

Science Advisor

From your other thread...
    Yeah, sorry. I did look at this one, but couldn't see anything obviously wrong with your working.

But you make a valid point, so I'm trying again to understand what's going on/wrong here...

Isn't there a dimensional problem here? Momentum has dimensions ##MLT^{-1}## and ##\omega## has dimensions ##T^{-1}##.
    So ##m\omega^2 x## has dimensions ##MLT^{-2}##.
    If I got that right, then you can't add ##p## and ##m\omega^2 x##.
    (In this problem, ##a## must have dimensions ##L## for consistency, so that seems consistent with the expectation values you found.)

Are you perhaps mixing up the partial time derivative with the total time derivative? Cf. Ehrenfest's theorem .

6. Jun 10, 2014 #5
    Perhaps you mean

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left( \langle \psi|P|\psi\rangle\right) + m\omega^2 \langle \psi |X|\psi\rangle = 0[/tex]

(which would be true)

7. Jun 10, 2014 #6
    Yes, I meant that, would that make a difference to the answer? I know it's true, because it commutes with ##hat H##, but the problem is how to show it..

8. Jun 10, 2014 #7

strangerep

Science Advisor

From this, I guess you didn't bother to read the link I suggested earlier at the end of post #4 ?

9. Jun 11, 2014 #8
    Sorry, I do know Ehrenfest's theorem. What I was trying to say is since all the terms commute with the hamiltonian it doesn't make a difference whether it was a partial or total derivative.

10. Jun 11, 2014 #9
    :confused:

I don't know what you mean here, since both [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]P[/itex] fail to commute with [itex]H[/itex].

But the main point is that in the version I posted, the time derivative only acts on the first term. That fixes (among other things) the dimensional inconsistency pointed out by strangerep.

11. Jun 11, 2014 #10

strangerep

Science Advisor

As with Oxvillian, I don't know what you mean by this. Neither x nor p commute with H.

So what is the question?? In your opening post you just wanted to calculate the ##p## expectation. Is there another part to the question that you haven't shown us?

12. Jun 12, 2014 #11
    Here is the full question:

2psg9as.png

I'm trying to find the link between finding ##\langle x \rangle##, ##\langle p\rangle## and the last part of the question.

13. Jun 12, 2014 #12

strangerep

Science Advisor

OK, the actual question is simpler than I thought.

So... have you evaluated $$\frac{d}{dt} \langle p \rangle ~=~ ~~?$$If so, what do you get? Also, what classical dynamical quantity does this correspond to?

And what do you get when you add it to ##m\omega^2 \langle x \rangle## ? (And what classical quantity does that correspond to?)

(I'm still having trouble understanding what your problem really is.)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  14. Jun 13, 2014 #13
    My problem is that they don't sum to zero, as forces should balance.

[tex]\frac{d\langle p \rangle}{dt} = -\frac{\hbar \omega}{\sqrt 2 a} cos (\omega t)[/tex]

[tex] m\omega^2 \frac{d \langle x \rangle }{dt} = -\frac{ma\omega^3}{\sqrt 2} sin (\omega t)[/tex]

They are wildly different.

15. Jun 13, 2014 #14
    unscientific - I think you have us pulling out our hair in frustration here :smile:

Why do you still insist on differentiating [itex]\langle x \rangle[/itex]?

16. Jun 13, 2014 #15

strangerep

Science Advisor

Yep!

He's seeing parentheses where there aren't any.

17. Jun 14, 2014 #16
    But even still, they don't sum to zero:

[tex]\frac{d\langle p \rangle}{dt} = -\frac{\hbar \omega}{\sqrt 2 a} cos (\omega t)[/tex]

[tex]m\omega^2 \langle \psi |x|\psi\rangle = \frac{ma\omega^2}{\sqrt 2} cos (\omega t)[/tex]

18. Jun 14, 2014 #17
    Almost there! Now use the definition of [itex]a[/itex] given in the question.

19. Jun 15, 2014 #18
    ##a## is a constant, it's not defined in the question.

20. Jun 15, 2014 #19
    Unscientific, your second long equation is not correct. Try the differentiation again. : )

Edit, oh I see the first equation is mis-typed? Belay that!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  21. Jun 15, 2014 #20
    :cry:

Look about 2/3 of the way through the question, right after the wavefunctions. It's the characteristic length scale of the harmonic oscillator, for what it's worth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted