1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Check this definition of a subset

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"We say a set T is a subset of a set S if every element of T also belongs to S( i.e T consists of some of the elements of S). We write T ⊆ S if T is a subset of S and T ⊄ S if not. For example, if S = {1, {2}, cat}, then {cat} ⊆ S, {{2}} ⊆ S, 2 ⊄ S.

As another example, the subsets of {1,2} are {1,2}, {1}, {2}, Ø.

By convention, Ø is a subset of every set."
    3. The attempt at a solution

Is the definition above describing a proper subset without mentioning it by name? Because the bold part of the text above seems to be alluding to T < S. But the italicized part is saying that a set is its own subset.

The reason I ask this because I have a problem that I dont know how to approach because the above quote is confusing me a bit.

Thanks.

edit: I meant to start my title with "Please', but somehow forgot to put it there. Sorry for that infraction :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2
    I wouldn't interpret that definition as refering to a proper subset. The part in italics seems to make it pretty clear that it considers every set to be a subset of itself.

I don't think the part in bold contradicts that. It says that a subset of S must consist of some of the elements of S, but it doesn't say the subset can't contain all the elements of S.

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3
    Thank You, Pagan Harpoon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted