Checking commutativity property with addition table

In summary, the conversation discusses the technique of using a mathematical system called the "Four minute clock" and creating a summation table for it. It is noted that if there is symmetry across the main diagonal, the system is commutative. However, when attempting a 5 minute clock, there is no evident symmetry along the main diagonal, yet the commutative property still applies. It is then clarified that the reflection along the main diagonal refers to the commutative property, and the table demonstrates this property. The conversation ends with the issue being resolved.
dalarev
I saw the technique of using a mathematical system called the "Four minute clock". Basically, the clock has 4 numbers, 0, 1, 2 and 3, and only one hand. We can make a summation table which will look like the image attached.

According to the text, if there is symmetry (reflection) across the main diagonal, the system is commutative.

The problem came up when I attempted a 5 minute clock. Same clock, except this time we have 5 numbers: 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4. Filling out the table, we see that there is NO evident symmetry along the main diagonal, yet the commutative property still applies to this system.
Namely: a+(b+c) = (a+b)+c

The system does not pass the commutativity test, yet it still works? Am I missing something?

Attachments

• addcommutativity.PNG
    addcommutativity.PNG
    27.8 KB · Views: 532
Mathematics news on Phys.org
For one the property a+(b+c) = (a+b)+c is the associative property not the commutative property. The commutative property is ab = ba. I can't see your picture yet, but the table should look like

Where the entry in the position i,j is i + j (mod 5).
This table is symmetric about the main diagonal, which verifies that it is commutative. It is also associative, however there is no quick check to determine this property.

matticus said:
For one the property a+(b+c) = (a+b)+c is the associative property not the commutative property. The commutative property is ab = ba.

You're correct about that, as confirmed here:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/LinAlg/PropsOfMatrixArith.aspx"

Where the entry in the position i,j is i + j (mod 5).
This table is symmetric about the main diagonal, which verifies that it is commutative. It is also associative, however there is no quick check to determine this property.

That is the correct table, but according to these notes (new image I have attached), there should be reflection ALONG the main diagonal, not only surrounding it.

Attachments

• c16233.jpg
    c16233.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 549
Last edited by a moderator:
when they say there is a reflection along the main diagonal they mean that entry i,j = j,i, (i.e. i + j = j + i, the definition of commutivity. it's not just magic!) which you can see is happening here.

matticus said:
when they say there is a reflection along the main diagonal they mean that entry i,j = j,i, (i.e. i + j = j + i, the definition of commutivity. it's not just magic!) which you can see is happening here.

Ahh, I see. Good explanation, thank you for that.

/thread solved

What is the commutativity property?

The commutativity property states that the order of operands does not affect the result of an operation. In other words, if you swap the positions of two operands in an operation, the result will still be the same.

How is the commutativity property checked with an addition table?

To check the commutativity property with an addition table, you would look at the rows and columns and see if the numbers are in the same order. If the numbers are the same in both the row and column, then the property holds true.

Why is it important to check the commutativity property?

The commutativity property is important because it helps us understand the relationships between numbers and operations. It also allows us to simplify equations and make calculations easier.

What happens if the commutativity property does not hold true?

If the commutativity property does not hold true, it means that the order of operands does affect the result of the operation. This can lead to incorrect calculations and can make solving equations more difficult.

Can the commutativity property be applied to other operations besides addition?

Yes, the commutativity property can also be applied to multiplication and some other mathematical operations. However, it does not apply to all operations, such as subtraction and division.