1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boolean algebra- cancellation property of addition

1. Apr 23, 2010 #1
    1. Prove that for all boolean algebras if x+y=x+z and x'+y = x'+z then y=z.

2. Relevant equations: x+x' = 1, xx'=0, basically we are allowed to use the usual boolean algebra properties.

3.Attempt: This the second part of a problem, in the first part we had to give and example of why x+y=x+z does not hold for all boolean algebras. Therefore this problem does not allow for cancellation of x on both sides to arrive at y=z. I have tried adding the LHS and RHS of both equations together to get x+x'+y+y = x+ x' +z+z which reduces to 1+y=1+z but I can't subtract the one from both sides in boolean algebra and I can't find a logical reason why they'd cancel. In fact, it seems the next logical reduction is to 1=1.

I also tried finding and expression for one equation in another and substituting to try and reduce one side to z and the other to x but I all I can come up with is complicated expressions that don't reduce very nicely and on my "best" attempts I've arrived at x+zy=x+yz

It seems like I am approaching the problem in the wrong way but I'm at a loss for another approach. Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Did you try multiplying the two equations together? I didn't actually work it out by hand, but it looks like it should work.
  4. Apr 24, 2010 #3
    Yes, that does appear to work! Thanks so much that never would have occurred to me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook