1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checking whether a curve is a parabola or not

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm generating some hypar surfaces for a structure through parametric design techniques. In order to assess their structural abilities, I am finding their cross section curves and would like to check whether they are parabolas or not.

So, in 3d space, (x,y,z) I have a curve - I can find the coordinates of n number of points along it. I cannot necessarily find the vertex as I do not know what portion of a parabola the curve might be .. My question is, can anyone help me figure out a way to check whether the curve itself is a parabola (or part of a parabola) or not?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

Since you are dealing with a cross section, the implication is that the points are planar, which means you should be able to express the points as x-y coordinates. Once you have that, I can think of a couple of approaches:

1. Use 3 of the points (e.g. 2 end points and a middle) to determine the equation of a parabola that passes through the 3 points, then test the n-3 points to see how close they are to the analytical curve.

2. Slightly different from #1, perform least squares analysis on the n points to determine the coefficients of a 2nd order polynomial fitting function. The value of residual will give you can idea of how close the points fit a parabola.

In both cases, a visual plot is always helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook