Cheetah movements but still no sprint?

• Thread starter caters
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to figure out how to run like a cheetah but is having difficulty. They have tried to mimic the way a cheetah runs but have not been successful. They have also tried to learn from videos of cheetahs but have not been successful. Finally, they have decided that they need to change something about their gait in order to be successful.
caters
Cheetahs have inspired me so much that I am wanting to make a cheetah costume.

But I figured that before I wear the cheetah costume that I have to be able to run the same way a cheetah does but at 1/7 to 2/7 cheetah speed.

So I have tried to run like a cheetah by getting my limbs into position and squinting my eyes the same way a cheetah does and then start running in a way that I have all my limbs up in the air twice per stride, once together and once far apart.

However I haven't been able to do it. Specifically after the first stride, or even during the first stride I fall on my knees or my belly instead of landing on my hands and feet.

The worse part is that I have been watching videos of cheetahs for a week now so I would think that I would know how a cheetah runs and then be able to do it at a much slower speed than the cheetah.

Do I just need more practice or do I need to change something in my cheetah run(maybe by looking at a cheetah running in slow motion and seeing if I am doing it right) or is a human running the same way a cheetah does but at a much slower speed impossible?

Likes Tobias Funke
Physics news on Phys.org
Our arm and leg sizes evolved for walking on two legs and using the arms for other tasks. It is not impossible to walk on legs and arms, but don't expect to get good results.

Likes Evo
I have gotten good results from walking on all 4 limbs, just not from running the same way a cheetah does but at a much slower speed.

your knees and ankles are the wrong shape to emulate the cheetah its not possible gain the spring from landing and extending a cheetah does with our legs when you try and run four legged.

Likes Evo
caters said:
I have gotten good results from walking on all 4 limbs, just not from running the same way a cheetah does but at a much slower speed.

There's no way you have gotten good results because you are not built like a cheetah. Since you aren't built to walk on four limbs, doing so is awkward and puts stress on your body that a cheetah doesn't have. Being able to walk on four limbs does not mean you have had good results.

Likes Evo
They also said that man couldn't fly. Never give up.

Tobias Funke said:
They also said that man couldn't fly. Never give up.

We can't fly without artificial flying machines. This is the equivalent of telling them to build a cheetah-like vehicle to ride around in.

Likes Evo
Observe the back of a cheetah.

Continued attempts to improve you gait in a prone running stance will, at best, result in sprained - if not broken - fingers and toes.

Drakkith said:
This is the equivalent of telling them to build a cheetah-like vehicle to ride around in.

And when that guy riding around in the cheetah-like vehicle is on every news station telling his story, all of you will thank me for the mentions that PF receives.

caters said:
...do I need to change something in my cheetah run...
Yeah, something needs a big change... lol

Tobias Funke said:
...you will thank me for the mentions that PF receives.
Of course... :oldbiggrin:

Tobias Funke said:
And when that guy riding around in the cheetah-like vehicle is on every news station telling his story, all of you will thank me for the mentions that PF receives.

Except that this isn't what the OP was even asking about.

Drakkith said:
Except that this isn't what the OP was even asking about.

And Semmelweis originally wasn't interested in handwashing. We've answered the original question and steered the OP in a better direction*, now we stand aside and let the graceful cheetah vehicle usher us into a new era.

*We, but mainly me. This thread proves priority.

This thread is done. OP, do not start another one. This is what your 2nd, third on this? Cheetas eating humans, now dressing and running as a cheetah, have you spoken to a professional about this obsession?

1. How fast can a cheetah run?

A cheetah can reach speeds of up to 70 miles per hour when sprinting, making it the fastest land animal in the world.

2. What do cheetahs use their speed for if they don't always sprint?

Cheetahs use their speed for hunting, as they are able to reach high speeds quickly to chase down prey. They also use it for evading predators and defending their territory.

3. Why do cheetahs sometimes have a slower, more leisurely gait?

Cheetahs conserve their energy by walking or trotting at a slower pace when they are not hunting or avoiding danger. This allows them to rest and save their energy for when they need it.

4. How do cheetahs use their tail when moving?

Cheetahs use their long, muscular tail to help them balance and make quick turns when sprinting. They also use it as a rudder to steer and maintain their balance while running.

5. Do cheetahs have any other unique movements besides sprinting?

In addition to their incredible sprinting abilities, cheetahs also have a distinctive "rocking horse" movement when they walk, where they move both legs on one side of their body at the same time. This helps them move more smoothly and efficiently when walking at slower speeds.