1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chem E turmoil

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    Hello, I am a junior in a ChemE program right now and it is alot more physics than I had imagined. I have some affinity for physics and my calc is strong, I am handling the coursework but I enjoy my chemistry classes much more than my Chem E classes. If I were to switch to chemistry I would be trying to get a PhD immediately because I am well aware that its kind of a joke and that you need the extra 4 years to actually learn wtf your talking about when it comes to sciences like these.
    The chem E degree is an extra semester and summer compared to the BS in pure chem. I like the lab, I like biochemistry, I like plants, I dont know if engineering is for me. I dont HATE engineering i just enjoy chem more. I have always wanted to be an alchemist my entire life. If I do stick with engineering I was still looking to get a PhD in chemistry because I want to master it, I would just spend a few years in industry first. Med school may also be an option except I have a 3.0 and I'll have to work harder or something... its already pretty brutal.

Thank you for reading my first post

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2
    What exactly is the question?

4. Sep 29, 2011 #3
    what would you do?

5. Sep 29, 2011 #4
    what would I do? To be honest, you can try to convince yourself money doesn't make you happy. Study what you like then go work wherever you can; most likely it will be a job unrelated to chemistry, but it will pay the bills. You can be an alchemist on your own if you like to.

6. Sep 29, 2011 #5
    its 15K its not poverty vrs upper-class.... I am worried about doing chemistry I dont give a **** about. What about oncology pharmocognetics, 115k ave salary. Chemistry is a profitable major if you devote yourself.

7. Sep 29, 2011 #6
    So you want to be an alchemist?

8. Sep 29, 2011 #7
    your a sharp one

9. Sep 29, 2011 #8
    I thought there were no more alchemist these days, guess I was wrong

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook