[Chem] Ions' States of Matter when not in solution

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
dt_
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Hydrogen peroxide decomposes into water and oxygen gas with the help of a catalyst. write the molecular formula and the redox half reactions.

Homework Equations



(N/A)


The Attempt at a Solution



the molec. formula is of course

[tex]2 H_{2}O_{2} (l) \stackrel{catalyst}{\rightarrow} 2 H_{2}O (l) + O_{2} (g)[/tex]

now for the reduction and oxidation half reactions:

reduction
[tex]O^{2-}_{2} + 2 e^{-} \rightarrow 2 O^{2-}[/tex]

oxidation
[tex]O^{2-}_{2} \rightarrow O_{2} (g) + 2 e^{-}[/tex]


My question is, what states should each of these ions in the half reactions be in? Normally (like for double displacement rxns) I know the ions are aqueous, but that's when both reactants are aqueous/in solution. Should the peroxide ion here, for instance, be liquid (because hydrogen peroxide is a liquid) or should it be aqueous?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If i understand you question correctly then the peroxide would be aqueous because hydrogen peroxide is a very blue liquid if I'am remembering right but peroxide is an aqueous solution of hydrogen peroxide. I'm pretty sure that what I said is correct but look it up in a textbook to be safe.