1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Chem] Ions' States of Matter when not in solution

1. Oct 13, 2007 #1

dt_

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hydrogen peroxide decomposes into water and oxygen gas with the help of a catalyst. write the molecular formula and the redox half reactions.

2. Relevant equations

(N/A)

3. The attempt at a solution

the molec. formula is of course

[tex]2 H_{2}O_{2} (l) \stackrel{catalyst}{\rightarrow} 2 H_{2}O (l) + O_{2} (g) [/tex]

now for the reduction and oxidation half reactions:

reduction
    [tex] O^{2-}_{2} + 2 e^{-} \rightarrow 2 O^{2-}[/tex]

oxidation
    [tex] O^{2-}_{2} \rightarrow O_{2} (g) + 2 e^{-} [/tex]

My question is, what states should each of these ions in the half reactions be in? Normally (like for double displacement rxns) I know the ions are aqueous, but that's when both reactants are aqueous/in solution. Should the peroxide ion here, for instance, be liquid (because hydrogen peroxide is a liquid) or should it be aqueous?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2
    If i understand you question correctly then the peroxide would be aqueous because hydrogen peroxide is a very blue liquid if I'am remembering right but peroxide is an aqueous solution of hydrogen peroxide. I'm pretty sure that what I said is correct but look it up in a textbook to be safe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?