Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical detection by irrediation?

1. Jul 12, 2007 #1
    Some complex/man made molecules decompose so as to leave detectable components. The detection of these components may be accomplished by QA or a good nose. However, is it possible to irradiate the suspected components with a resonant energy thereby exposing it’s existence?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

This is the basis of several forms of spectroscopy such as Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectroscopy, infrared spectroscopy and visible and UV spectroscopy.

4. Jul 12, 2007 #3
    the mathematics of irrediation?

Thank you, I suspected as much. It was a leading question to another one that is probably best asked as generally as the previously one, If you will stay with me please. I now know that various atomic structures may be illuminated dependant on its components and the illuminator or by injecting particular types of energy into the structure causing it to react in such a minor so as to expose its existence. If this is the case, there may be particular traits within the structure that may allow a mathematical relationship to be determined. This being possible, a predisposition may be made regarding structure behavior prior to experimentation. ?

5. Jul 13, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Absolutely. There are numerous methods to calculate these spectra. Calculation prior to experimentation, that is, without reliance on experiment (termed 'semiempirical') is called an 'empirical' method. Examples of these empirical methods are Molecular Mechanics (MM) and Hartree-Fock. I believe that both empirical and semiempirical methods can be used to calculate spectra but the semiemprircal techniques are most often used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?